POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : In search of a search algorithm : Re: In search of a search algorithm Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a search algorithm
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 3 Nov 2007 17:20:01
Message: <472cf411$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-tree
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kd_tree

Both of these look potentially useful quite useful. (Certainly O(log n)
lookup sounds much more fun than O(n) lookup!) Both articles talk about
finding THE nearest point, but it looks easy to modify it to find
several nearby points.

It seems that in both cases, ensuring the tree is nicely balanced is
utterly critical to best performance. Since I'm going to be adding
points to the tree all the time, clearly I need to think carefully about
this part.

Anyway, I have some stuff to play with now... thanks.