POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wahahahaha! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Wahahahaha! (Message 101 to 110 of 170)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: Wahahahaha!
Date: 8 Nov 2007 13:20:33
Message: <47335371@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>> (I never really understood why programs produce core dumps. I mean,
>> seriously. What chance is there of anybody *ever* deducing anything
>> useful from this data? 10^-78?)
>
> The original programmer with access to the sourcecode *can* deduce data
> from it.

I seriously doubt it...

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Nov 2007 13:22:47
Message: <473353f7@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

You're not the only one. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and
say you're not the only one by a large measure...

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Nov 2007 13:33:28
Message: <47335678$1@news.povray.org>

> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>>> (I never really understood why programs produce core dumps. I mean,
>>> seriously. What chance is there of anybody *ever* deducing anything
>>> useful from this data? 10^-78?)
>>
>> The original programmer with access to the sourcecode *can* deduce
>> data from it.
>
> I seriously doubt it...

Load a core dump on a debugger along with the executable containing
debugging info and the sourcecode, and you can pinpoint the line of code
that caused the crash, and see the contents of variables at the moment
of the crash. That's why coredumps are so big sometimes, they contain
all of the process's memory.

Post a reply to this message

>>> The original programmer with access to the sourcecode *can* deduce
>>> data from it.
>>
>> I seriously doubt it...
>
> Load a core dump on a debugger along with the executable containing
> debugging info and the sourcecode, and you can pinpoint the line of code
> that caused the crash, and see the contents of variables at the moment
> of the crash. That's why coredumps are so big sometimes, they contain
> all of the process's memory.

You mean even though the memory layout is completely different every
time the program is run, the debugger can somehow work out which octet
means what?

Post a reply to this message

> > The original programmer with access to the sourcecode *can* deduce data
> > from it.

> I seriously doubt it...

  Why?

  What do you think the core file is for?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> You mean even though the memory layout is completely different every
> time the program is run, the debugger can somehow work out which octet
> means what?

  No, programs just dump core for the fun of it, without it having any
use or benefit.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message