POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wahahahaha! : Re: Wahahahaha! Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wahahahaha!
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Nov 2007 13:41:56
Message: <47335874$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>> The original programmer with access to the sourcecode *can* deduce data
>>> from it.
>
>> I seriously doubt it...
>
>   Why?
>
>   What do you think the core file is for?

A last-ditch attempt to do something useful?

I mean, if you're the guy who designed the inside of the C compiler and
knows the exact instruction scheduling algorithm that it uses *and* you
somehow have access to the source code version of the program *and* you
understand the exact execution path that lead to this point *and* you're
a super-expert in extremely low-level programming *and* you have insane
amounts of time available... yeah, theoretically you might possibly be
able to glean a few tiny bits of info from it. But really, for anything
other than a HelloWorld program, you're not going to get much of use out
of it. (Heck, the crash probably isn't even anywhere near where the bug
is...)