POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All that Windoze stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:01 EDT (-0400)
  All that Windoze stuff (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: All that Windoze stuff
Date: 29 Oct 2007 13:48:25
Message: <47262af9$1@news.povray.org>
I spent an afternoon reading about DDE, COM, COM+, DCOM, OLE, DCE/RPC,
MSRPC and many other things that I can't even remember the name of now.
All of which make virtually no sense at all.

Can somebody explain to me what all this stuff is meant to be for?

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:48:27 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> I spent an afternoon reading about DDE, COM, COM+, DCOM, OLE, DCE/RPC,
> MSRPC and many other things that I can't even remember the name of now.
> All of which make virtually no sense at all.
>
> Can somebody explain to me what all this stuff is meant to be for?

IPC.  HTH.  HAND. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:48:27 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>
>> I spent an afternoon reading about DDE, COM, COM+, DCOM, OLE,
>> DCE/RPC,
>> MSRPC and many other things that I can't even remember the name
>> of now.
>> All of which make virtually no sense at all.
>>
>> Can somebody explain to me what all this stuff is meant to be
>> for?
>
> IPC.  HTH.  HAND. :-)
>
> Jim

P.s.  mutex trafficking

Post a reply to this message

> I spent an afternoon reading about DDE, COM, COM+, DCOM, OLE, DCE/RPC,
> MSRPC and many other things that I can't even remember the name of now.
> All of which make virtually no sense at all.
>
> Can somebody explain to me what all this stuff is meant to be for?

Cross-process object-oriented calling.  Basically, remote procedure
calls and everything you need to do it "right" instead of half-assed.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

> Cross-process object-oriented calling.  Basically, remote procedure
> calls and everything you need to do it "right" instead of half-assed.

OK. So... if I actually knew how to do all this stuff, what useful
things could I do with it?

Post a reply to this message