POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All that Windoze stuff : Re: All that Windoze stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All that Windoze stuff
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 30 Oct 2007 15:49:57
Message: <472798f5$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> OK. So... if I actually knew how to do all this stuff, what useful
>> things could I do with it?
>
> It's the fundamental technology that Windows parts use to talk to other
> Windows parts. You could write a program that starts up Word and Excel,
> loads a spreadsheet, clips a range out and pastes it into your Word
> document. You can take a blob of code that someone wrote to manage
> calendars, and a blob of code that someone wrote to manage email, and
> paste them together to make an email-sending reminder applciation. You
> can write components for (for example) decompressing your compressed
> movie stream, and plug them into Windows Media Player without having to
> recompile either one. It's used for everything from plug-ins,
> specialized widgets, active agents running in the background,
> distributed processing, and embedded programming languages for
> applications.

So... would it for example be possible to write some gizmo that enables
you to insert a mathematical formula into a Word document without Word
crashing? (Or an organisation chart, for that matter?)

Could you write a plugin for Excel that draws some new kind of chart? Or
maybe be able to write macros in Haskell instead of VisualBasic? (You
know how normally you can write a macro in VB and then use it as a
normal function in cells of the spreadsheet? Well, what if you wanted to
use Haskell instead? Is that possible, technically?)

> You use it to do all the sorts of things you use IPC for (pipes,
> sockets, etc) in Linux land.

When I develop things that have to talk to each other, I generally just
use TCP. (Because almost all programming languages know how to do it. As
a somewhat nice side effect, it also makes it possible to run components
on seperate machines.) I have no idea what the overhead is though.

(Before now I've written some code in one programming language, then had
it use TCP to talk to a Tcl script to provide a front-end. Damn, if only
there was 1 programming language that had *all* the features I need...)