POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life Sucked at My School This Week Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Life Sucked at My School This Week (Message 49 to 58 of 58)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: Life Sucked at My School This Week
Date: 22 Oct 2007 15:24:04
Message: <471cf8d4$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

>> I recall Sodium as being yellow... (At least, unless you get it. The
>> resulting surface is silver, but corrodes faster than a Landrover.)
>
> It's stored under oil to stop it oxidising. And it's soft enough to cut
> with a knife or scalpel, then you get the lovely shiny surface inside...

Yeah, I remember. But if you blink you'll miss the shiny bit...

> Have you seen the video of people dropping rubidium and caesium into
> water? That won't be done in the classroom anytime soon.
>

> :)

Braniac did it.

Oddly, they couldn't get hold of any Francium...

Post a reply to this message

From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 22 Oct 2007 19:49:17
Message: <471d36fd@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> Did you HAVE a fume hood?
>> (At my school, our science lab was equiped with Bunsen burners, clamp
>> stands and some glassare. And that's it.)
>
> Kids these days!  At MY school, our science lab was equipped with
> whatever brush fire happened to be nearby, a few pointed sticks, and
> some random stones!  Crazy teacher kept going on about turning lead into
> gold.

At MY school, the periodic table looked like this:

      _______     _______     _______
     |       |   |       |   |       |
     |   D   |   |   R   |   |  Dg   |
     |       |   |       |   |       |
     | Dirt  |   | Rocks |   | Dung  |
     |_______|   |_______|   |_______|

--Sherry "Twelve Miles Uphill In The Snow" Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+

Post a reply to this message

> Two of my favourite things were tins of sodium hydroxide and rolls of
> aluminium foil.

Ah, the classic Drano Bomb...

Sherry "I Was Nowhere Near The Lab" Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+
1;#end camera{location-5*z}plane{z,37 pigment{granite color_map{[.7rgb 0]
[1rgb 1]}}finish{ambient 2}}//                                   TenMoons

Post a reply to this message

>> Have you seen the video of people dropping rubidium and caesium into
>> water? That won't be done in the classroom anytime soon.
>
> Braniac did it.

Surprise is no longer adequate, and I am forced to resort to astonishment.

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:49:01 +0100, Sherry Shaw <ten### [at] aolcom>
did spake, saying:

> Tim Cook wrote:
>> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>>> Did you HAVE a fume hood?
>>> (At my school, our science lab was equiped with Bunsen burners, clamp
>>> stands and some glassare. And that's it.)
>>  Kids these days!  At MY school, our science lab was equipped with
>> whatever brush fire happened to be nearby, a few pointed sticks, and
>> some random stones!  Crazy teacher kept going on about turning lead
>> into gold.
>>

> At MY school, the periodic table looked like this:
>
>       _______     _______     _______
>      |       |   |       |   |       |
>      |   D   |   |   R   |   |  Dg   |
>      | Dirt  |   | Rocks |   | Dung  |
>

> --Sherry "Twelve Miles Uphill In The Snow" Shaw

Woah blowing my mind here, when were 'dirt' and 'rocks' added?

--
Phil "Twelve Miles Uphill In The Snow Both Ways" Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message