POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life Sucked at My School This Week Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:27 EDT (-0400)
  Life Sucked at My School This Week (Message 29 to 38 of 58)
From: Brian Elliott
Subject: Re: Life Sucked at My School This Week
Date: 21 Oct 2007 11:21:25
Message: <471b6e75@news.povray.org>
"Brian Elliott" <NotForSpam@AskIfUWant> wrote in message
news:471b6c5d$1@news.povray.org...

> [...]
> database contains its own recovery information and backups do still happen
> even with the catalog lost, and it does all get sent to tape eventually.
> Secondly, Oracle version 10g (three DBs are 10g RMAN clients here) has a
> cool, easy feature:  In one command, all the physical files in the backup
> storage area are scanned, type-identified, and any orphan backups that are
> unknown to the catalog can be added into it.  It is easy to build a new
> empty catalog and then populate it with data from prior backups.
>
> I expect much more trouble with preserving OEM objects.  I haven't looked
> in detail, but I expect it has a complex schema.  It would be best if I
> use an AppDev tool to pull all the definitions for all objects, because it
> would take much study and work to make a roll-your-own SQL script that
> reads the data dictionary and dynamically writes user object build scripts
> based on what it finds.
>
> Selecting from tables, their column definitions and table data are only a
> small part of getting the data and structure out:  I have to get the
> entire application out.  I would also have to make SQL to recreate:
>
> Table type (heap, index-organised, cluster, partition) Definitions of all
> indexes and constraints on each table, foreign-key constraints to other
> tables, tablespace and storage info, remembering again to do the same for
> each of its indexes.
>
> Triggers on the tables -- PL/SQL code that fires before/after an
> insert/update/delete.
> Sequences, including the number they are now at. (So new sequences are
> created from that starting point instead of starting at one)
>
> Views -- named SQL that can be selected and joined as one uses a table in
> most places.
> The program code stored in PL/SQL functions, procedures and packages.
>
> Jobs.  Ugh, I know the least about these.  I'm sure OEM will have job
> schedules registered in the database engine.
>
> I already have a script that dynamically builds a bunch of creation SQL
> scripts for such things as users (also preserving passwords by copying the
> encrypted value), roles, grants, quotas.
>
> Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that the normal
> procedure of building Enterprise Manager and discovering all the target
> Oracle DBs, listeners, etc, setting up the administrators, alarm triggers,
> notification pagers and emails -- bad as it is, it may be easier and more
> reliable in the end.  Certainly the final result would have vendor
> support, whereas one I made with manually-pulled data wouldn't, and you
> could never be sure that what you made works 100% kosher and won't blow up
> on you later or let you down in an emergency.
>
> We will have an export of the OEM schema.  It is just oldish because it is
> before the exports began to fail.  I would try loading that before doing a
> full rebuild or manual script-magic-blue-smoke anyway.

Ah yes, I forgot I would also have to include definitions for synonyms,
materialized views and types.  There are likely more that I still haven't
remembered.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Oct 2007 11:30:33
Message: <471b7099$1@news.povray.org>
Michael Raiford wrote:
> school campus heard the resulting bang.

I had friends who worked at a science museum (the Franklin Institute)
giving lectures and such. One day Tony filled a 3-foot weather balloon
with hydrogen and oxygen, and put it on a long thread so it floated near
the top of the lecture hall. (Picture a stadium-seating huge room like
you see college lectures being given in in movies.) Then he points the
parabolic heat lamp at it and turns off all the switches.

Kurt goes in, turns on all the lights, starts his lecture on liquid air.
I walk in, and Tony is in the back of the room, going "SHhh! Shhh!"

About five minutes into the lecture, there's a kaBOOM that literally
cracks some of the windows.  Kurt jumps about three feet, looks around,
waves to Tony, and goes back to lecturing.

(This is the same Tony that couldn't figure out where the cardboard
canister he'd stuffed home-made high explosives into went after he
touched it off and blew a 3-foot deep crater in the dirt.)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message