POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nanocover Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Nanocover (Message 11 to 20 of 26)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Nanocover
Date: 15 Oct 2007 10:57:55
Message: <47137ff3@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote
>
>> Most nanotech is just particles at the moment, or nanoscale features on
>> normal substrates. I think. Fullerenes count too, like buckyballs or
>> buckytubes. There's all sorts of novel applications but it's mainly just
>> paints and coatings at the moment. I think actual machines are quite a
>> way off yet...
>
> That's the bottomline. What's now called nano-science used to be known as
> colloidal science (or in the other case, just solid state technology). Any
> small molecule technically qualifies as a nano-particle as well. The
> nano-science, as originally intended, hasn't come to fruition yet.

Yah. Tiny machines swimming through bloodstreams etc is probably better
described as nano-engineering.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 15 Oct 2007 12:25:12
Message: <47139468$1@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote in message

> One of the most interesting uses of "nanotech" would be to keep your car
> windscreen clean, without the need for wipers or a cloth to get off
> splatted flies.

    Well, yes, good one, but I would say that one of the most useful would
be 'anti glare'. The glare from a windscreen when the sun is low(ish) is
certainly blinding and dangerous.

    ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

> Most nanotech is just particles at the moment,

So what distinguishes it from chemicals?  Why isn't scotch-guard
"nano-tech"?

> I think actual machines are quite a way off yet...

They made working electric motors the size of logic gates some 10+ years
ago. I don't know if that counts, but I imagine it has advanced since then.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

> One of the most interesting uses of "nanotech" would be to keep your car
> windscreen clean, without the need for wipers or a cloth to get off
> splatted flies.

That's called "Rain-X".  Go out and buy some. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we
     used to complain about cryptography
     being export-restricted?

Post a reply to this message

>     Well, yes, good one, but I would say that one of the most useful would
> be 'anti glare'. The glare from a windscreen when the sun is low(ish) is
> certainly blinding and dangerous.

And polarized sunglass lenses don't do for you? :-)

Really, something that would cut light that's perpendicular to the
windshield would be cool. Like the larry niven blue-sun goggles.