POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nanocover : Re: Nanocover Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nanocover
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Oct 2007 05:33:46
Message: <4714857a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
>> Most nanotech is just particles at the moment,
>
> So what distinguishes it from chemicals?  Why isn't scotch-guard
> "nano-tech"?

I'm not sure how scotch-guard works, and I think 'chemical' is a bit of
a nebulous term. I always thought nanotech refers to discrete artifacts
smaller than a micron (i.e., whose size is best measured in nanometres).
Wikipedia have quite a good run-down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology

>> I think actual machines are quite a way off yet...
> They made working electric motors the size of logic gates some 10+ years
> ago. I don't know if that counts, but I imagine it has advanced since then.

I don't know anything about that. I think I heard of a demonstration
some time ago, but what would you use it for?