POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Short one (Message 41 to 50 of 129)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: Short one
Date: 12 Oct 2007 13:04:07
Message: <470fa907@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> Where do you get this "proper boot CD" form btw?
>>
>>  Almost any linux installer CD will do.
>
> What, to remove the admin password of a WinXP installation?  Would be
> useful to know how to do that occasionally.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/index.html

(You can use his ready made boot CD/FD or you can
use his chntpw with Knopix.)

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Oct 2007 23:56:07
Message: <471041d7$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Something like BartPE would let you do the same with a Windows Live CD.

Except you'd wind up changing the password on the hive that came from
the CD, not the hive on the hard drive.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Oct 2007 00:09:06
Message: <471044e2$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 05:35:20 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> (fdisk /mbr should get rid of Grub from the MBR, BTW)
>
>   People who don't know how to use linux shouldn't use it, IMO.

That doesn't really help the userbase grow, though.

>   Just a couple of days ago someone in irc commented that he needed
> to reinstall linux because he had forgotten the root password. Well,
> someone who knew better saved him some hours of useless work.

And you can bet that he won't forget the solution next time around.  At
least he had the sense to ask for help before wiping the system and
starting over.

That's how a lot of people learn - by making mistakes.  Nothing wrong
with that - it's not the most efficient way to learn, but it tends to be
retained better than trying to learn from other people's experiences,
books, etc.

Jim

Post a reply to this message