POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Oct 2007 00:12:12
Message: <4710459c$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:43:55 -0400, Warp wrote:

> Linux developers and advocates couldn't care less if someone else uses
> linux. They are making linux for *themselves*, not for everybody.

Um, that's something Linus has *personally* stated in several interviews.

But that doesn't extend to even a majority of the developers - of course,
if you have some numbers to back up the statement that the majority do
feel that way, I'd love to see those numbers.

When I see major kernel developers like Greg Kroah-Hartmann offering to
write drivers for hardware for free, that tells me that he's looking to
increase adoption, and he's certainly not alone.  Look at the folks over
at freedesktop.org who have been doing studies on interface development
and whatnot.  You don't do that type of research because it's a hobby.

That particular statement that you're quoting may have been true 5 years
ago, but I doubt it's true today.

Jim