POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi? (Message 1 to 10 of 31)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi?
Date: 15 Sep 2007 23:15:55
Message: <46ec9fea@news.povray.org>
I've got an idea for a novel which involves a group of kids taking on or
thwarting an oppressive alien civilization. Problem is, for my plot to make
sense, the aliens have been killing a bunch of them before they figure out
they are even oppressed by aliens and then continue to do so as they figure
out how to fight back. I want the kids to be heroes and show how they
figure out the problem and fight back, from their eyes.   For the story to
make any sense, it's better for them to be under voting age.  The older
they are, the plot doesn't make sense.  The younger they are, I imagine
you're more at risk of either violating PC sensibilities or actually
scaring people.

Can you show 10-year olds in a sort of "The Poseidon Adventure" epic where
not all the ones you introduce the reader to survive by the end?

Post a reply to this message

> I've got an idea for a novel which involves a group of kids taking on or
> thwarting an oppressive alien civilization. Problem is, for my plot to make
> sense, the aliens have been killing a bunch of them before they figure out
> they are even oppressed by aliens and then continue to do so as they figure
> out how to fight back. I want the kids to be heroes and show how they
> figure out the problem and fight back, from their eyes.   For the story to
> make any sense, it's better for them to be under voting age.  The older
> they are, the plot doesn't make sense.  The younger they are, I imagine
> you're more at risk of either violating PC sensibilities or actually
> scaring people.
>
> Can you show 10-year olds in a sort of "The Poseidon Adventure" epic where
> not all the ones you introduce the reader to survive by the end?

Battle Royale much?

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

Greg M. Johnson <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithycom> wrote:
> Can you show 10-year olds in a sort of "The Poseidon Adventure" epic where
> not all the ones you introduce the reader to survive by the end?

  You are going to offend someone.

  This can of course be understood completely in the wrong way, but children
are the Holy Cows of the later 20th century and the 21st. Even completely
fictitious accounts of maltreatment is seen as a tabu. I think it has gone
a bit overboard.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

"Greg M. Johnson" <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithYcom> wrote

> [...]
> they are, the plot doesn't make sense.  The younger they are, I imagine
> you're more at risk of either violating PC sensibilities or actually
> scaring people.
>
> Can you show 10-year olds in a sort of "The Poseidon Adventure" epic where
> not all the ones you introduce the reader to survive by the end?

Of course you can. Granted, sci-fi of any sort (except maybe the fluff that
starts with "Star" and masquerades as sci-fi) will have very limited appeal
to readers/viewers in general.

Post a reply to this message