POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi? : How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 15 Sep 2007 23:15:55
Message: <46ec9fea@news.povray.org>
I've got an idea for a novel which involves a group of kids taking on or
thwarting an oppressive alien civilization. Problem is, for my plot to make
sense, the aliens have been killing a bunch of them before they figure out
they are even oppressed by aliens and then continue to do so as they figure
out how to fight back. I want the kids to be heroes and show how they
figure out the problem and fight back, from their eyes.   For the story to
make any sense, it's better for them to be under voting age.  The older
they are, the plot doesn't make sense.  The younger they are, I imagine
you're more at risk of either violating PC sensibilities or actually
scaring people.

Can you show 10-year olds in a sort of "The Poseidon Adventure" epic where
not all the ones you introduce the reader to survive by the end?