POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Denver and Digital cameras Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Denver and Digital cameras (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Denver and Digital cameras
Date: 11 Sep 2007 10:21:53
Message: <op.tyht65ric3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:43:40 +0100, Bill Pragnell
<bil### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> case; I don't think they're on the A5xx's though (without checking).
>> OOC what's the input flap like on the A710, the A620's is a little
>> finicky and I've no idea why they didn't make it the same slide and
>> flip as the memory card slot.
>
> It's small, and rubber, and a little fiddly; I'm not sure what to
> compare it too though!

It's annoying, everything else is a solid click-clunk then you get this
bit of windscreen wiper rubber on the one set of slots you're likely to be
most using. I don't get it I really don't.

>> I also wish it would save drive mode for the Program settings, I like
>> my continous drive it's damn handy when you lack image stabilisation.
>
> Do you mean how you have to go and select it again every time you switch
> to a Program mode? I've noticed that.

Yes to an extent, more along the lines of what's the point of it
remembering the last settings you used except the drive mode. I tend to
flick between the Children, and Foliage Scene modes and it keeps the drive
setting, I'd just like a programmable 'middle-ground' setting I can swing
the dial to and just keep my finger on the shutter, without having to turn
on the screen and set the drive-mode every time.

> The 2-second delay is very handy for slightly longer exposures.

As I found out on my makeshift tripod :-)

> Although I also have image stabilisation in the A710 so it's probably
> less annoying for me.

I don't think the A710 was out when I picked up mine, otherwise I'd have
probably gone for that instead; mostly for the 6x op-zoom, but also for
the image stabilisation. Then again if I get it now I'd miss the flip
screen, I really wouldn't have got some shots without it.

> This camera is also the first device I've ever owned that had
> tilt-meters for rotating images automatically. I laughed out loud the
> first time I saw it in action... :)

Oh you mean on playback auto-rotating portrait shots on the screen? It can
get a bit confused when you point it straight up though
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65496354@N00/1113674091/ this was actually
taken landscape with the plane flying towards the bottom left from my
viewpoint. The camera switched it around and I kind of prefered it that
way and so just left it.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

>> Do you mean how you have to go and select it again every time you
>> switch to a Program mode? I've noticed that.
>
> Yes to an extent, more along the lines of what's the point of it
> remembering the last settings you used except the drive mode. I tend to
> flick between the Children, and Foliage Scene modes and it keeps the
> drive setting, I'd just like a programmable 'middle-ground' setting I
> can swing the dial to and just keep my finger on the shutter, without
> having to turn on the screen and set the drive-mode every time.
Ah yes, "hold it right there!" - everyone freezes - "er, hang on," - you
tit around with the camera for 12 seconds - "right then!" - too late,
everyone's got bored / fallen over.

> Oh you mean on playback auto-rotating portrait shots on the screen?
Yep. I guess they're mainly there to make sure the image orientation is
correct when the picture is taken, but it's quite nice that it flips
them round in playback too.

> can get a bit confused when you point it straight up though
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/65496354@N00/1113674091/ this was actually
Nice pic. Ditto straight down...

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 11 Sep 2007 14:48:35
Message: <46e6e303@news.povray.org>
"Gail Shaw" <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote in message

> I'm contemplating picking up a digital camera while I'm there. I'll be
able
> to get far better for far less there than here, even with customs duty.
I've
> never owned a digital camera, still using my mother's old film one.

Looks like a Canon powershot it is. What's a good store to buy a camera that
I'm not going to be ripped off at?