POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Place your bets Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:43:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Place your bets (Message 29 to 38 of 38)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Place your bets
Date: 30 Aug 2007 00:54:36
Message: <46d64d8c@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:55:51 -0500, Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>
> > Unless your blog is really popular, it's not a good idea to force
> > people to register to leave comments.
>
> I thought that as well today - unfortunately, though, if you don't force
> people to register, you end up having to wade through pages of comment
> spam and vandalism.

Unless you put something like this on. I'm using it and it's quite effective

http://akismet.com/

Post a reply to this message

From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 30 Aug 2007 10:36:18
Message: <46d6d5e2$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> Unless you put something like this on. I'm using it and it's quite effective
>
> http://akismet.com/

	Precisely. Wordpress has an Akismet plugin, which I believe comes with
Wordpress by default (if not, one can always install it).  Since I
installed it, I think only one spam comment got through and it prevented
200 others.

--
Whose cruel idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have a "S" in it?

                     /\  /\               /\  /
                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:55:51 +0200, Gail Shaw wrote:

> Unless you put something like this on. I'm using it and it's quite
> effective
>
> http://akismet.com/

If that's an option.  It is on wordpress.com, and yes, it is effective
there.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:55:51 +0200, Gail Shaw wrote:
>
> > Unless you put something like this on. I'm using it and it's quite
> > effective
> >
> > http://akismet.com/
>
> If that's an option.  It is on wordpress.com, and yes, it is effective
> there.

I read somewhere about using it on other blogs, not hosted at wordpress.com.
Can't remember the link, but shouldn't be hard to search for. Something
about registering at wordpress, but just creating an account, not a blog
then using that.

Post a reply to this message

>> 	Unless your blog is really popular, it's not a good idea to force
>> people to register to leave comments.
>
> I thought that as well today - unfortunately, though, if you don't force
> people to register, you end up having to wade through pages of comment
> spam and vandalism.

Yeah, that's kind of what worries me...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/