POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How well do you know the world? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  How well do you know the world? (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: How well do you know the world?
Date: 14 Jun 2008 05:07:40
Message: <48538a5c@news.povray.org>
A quiz game that tests your knowledge of cities and places across the world.

http://minijuegos.com/juegos/html/index.php?id=5974

I got to level 8 out of 10, but only got 26000 points in that level. You
need 30000 to go to the next level.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Subject: Re: How well do you know the world?
Date: 14 Jun 2008 05:58:58
Message: <48539662$1@news.povray.org>

> A quiz game that tests your knowledge of cities and places across the world.
>
> http://minijuegos.com/juegos/html/index.php?id=5974
>
> I got to level 8 out of 10, but only got 26000 points in that level. You
> need 30000 to go to the next level.

Nice way to study something which can easily be dull.

On second try, I reached level 9  (and level 3 only my on first try :-)

Thibaut

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jun 2008 07:05:55
Message: <4853a613$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> A quiz game that tests your knowledge of cities and places across the world.
>
> http://minijuegos.com/juegos/html/index.php?id=5974

Well... I know nothing about anything, so...

Actually, this game is kinda random. There are entire countries in
Europe which are too tiny to see on this map.

If it asks, say, "where is the capital of Spain?", all you really gotta
do is click on Spain and you can't possibly be too far wrong. On the
other hand, "Russia" is about 70% of the land surface of Eath [and looks
even bigger in this particular projection], so good luck with that one!

Similarly, if it asks you for... oh... *any* place in England, just
click on England. The cursor is bigger than the whole damn country, so
there's not much possibility of aiming.

Would be nice if you could zoom in and out - and the time limits were
make looser accordingly. I think it would also be useful if you at least
got points for being on the correct size of a national border [since
they're marked on the map] and lost points for being on the wrong side
of it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 14 Jun 2008 07:18:59
Message: <4853a923@news.povray.org>

> Similarly, if it asks you for... oh... *any* place in England, just
> click on England. The cursor is bigger than the whole damn country, so
> there's not much possibility of aiming.

Seeing as I managed 10 km from Edinburgh for 1 question, and the difference
in score between 100 and 500 is large, not really.

How far did you get?

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 14 Jun 2008 07:29:19
Message: <4853ab8f@news.povray.org>

> If it asks, say, "where is the capital of Spain?", all you really gotta
> do is click on Spain and you can't possibly be too far wrong.

Of course, that assumes you know where Spain is....

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jun 2008 07:37:15
Message: <2bb754d4vut9pqgroisfst3bcrgprnjavl@4ax.com>
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:20:32 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
<initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:

>"Orchid XP v8" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>
>> Similarly, if it asks you for... oh... *any* place in England, just
>> click on England. The cursor is bigger than the whole damn country, so
>> there's not much possibility of aiming.
>
>Seeing as I managed 10 km from Edinburgh for 1 question, and the difference
>in score between 100 and 500 is large, not really.
>
>How far did you get?

I think that I agree with Andrew about the scale. I was over 100 km
from London and I live there ;)

I scored a total of 108719 and got to level 4
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 14 Jun 2008 09:16:03
Message: <4853c493@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:20:32 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
> <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:
>
>> "Orchid XP v8" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>>
>>> Similarly, if it asks you for... oh... *any* place in England, just
>>> click on England. The cursor is bigger than the whole damn country, so
>>> there's not much possibility of aiming.
>> Seeing as I managed 10 km from Edinburgh for 1 question, and the difference
>> in score between 100 and 500 is large, not really.
>>
>> How far did you get?
>>

> I think that I agree with Andrew about the scale. I was over 100 km
> from London and I live there ;)
>
> I scored a total of 108719 and got to level 4

193842 Final level 6 on my first try - but I've got a hangover - I was
watching Holland beat France last night with a bunch of friends in The
Sports Bar :-)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jun 2008 09:26:30
Message: <jnh754lan935a1911t5loo7fmhdiok131f@4ax.com>
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:17:13 +0100, Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

>193842 Final level 6 on my first try - but I've got a hangover - I was
>watching Holland beat France last night with a bunch of friends in The
>Sports Bar :-)

Try it sober :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: pan
Date: 14 Jun 2008 11:06:50
Message: <4853de8a@news.povray.org>
"Gail Shaw" <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote in message
>A quiz game that tests your knowledge of cities and places across
>the world.
>
> http://minijuegos.com/juegos/html/index.php?id=5974
>
> I got to level 8 out of 10, but only got 26000 points in that
> level. You
> need 30000 to go to the next level.

Level 10     334,145 pts
halway through level 11

The allowed radius of error diminshes each level
Within that circle some points can be got.

I went for speed as much as accuracy - could have got more
accuracy if I slowed down. No idea how much time is allowed
per level - I'm sure thatg dimishes with progress.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 14 Jun 2008 11:48:00
Message: <4853e830@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message

> I think that I agree with Andrew about the scale. I was over 100 km
> from London and I live there ;)

I was considering anything under 100km to be spot on. Sure it could be
bigger. Doesn't make it easy though. Harder if anything.
On some of the later levels, just finding the country's a challenge. Let
alone the city or point within the country