POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : The Bright Star Catalogue Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  The Bright Star Catalogue (Message 5 to 14 of 30)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: The Bright Star Catalogue
Date: 7 Dec 2017 17:39:40
Message: <5a29c32c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-02-08 08:08 AM (-5), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> I have extracted some of the data fields from the Yale Bright Star
> Catalogue and converted them to SDL. [snip]

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=BrightStar5&contributorTag=Cousin%20Ricky

I have uploaded BrightStar5 version 1.1, which has indexes on the data
arrays.  The seek macros run *much* faster now.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 9 Feb 2018 21:27:58
Message: <5a7e58ae$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/8/2017 8:08 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> I have extracted some of the data fields from the Yale Bright Star
> Catalogue and converted them to SDL.  This catalog contains all
> nighttime stars of magnitude 6.5 and brighter (roughly all nighttime
> stars visible to the naked eye), plus a few dimmer ones.  The
> BrightStar5 module includes more data fields than the include file
> Rarius published a while back, including catalog designations and color
> data.  Macros are included for star coloration and Bayer designation
> labels.  You can also seek individual stars by Bayer, Draper, Flamsteed,
> or SAO designations.
>
> Rarius stated that the catalog is in the public domain.  I could not
> determine the intellectual property status from the published sources,
> and in the process of trying to find out, I ended up having a very nice
> phone conversation with one of the authors, Dr. Warren!
>
> The 5th edition of the catalog, as it stands, is in a preliminary state.
>   (The primary author died in 2007.)  There is no projected date for
> final publication.
>
> POV-Ray 3.7.1 beta 2 will crash hard with this module.  Think Bayer
> designations, and if you've been following p.beta-test, you'll know
> exactly why it crashes.  Some of the 3.7.1 alphas (including some 2015
> vintages) also crashed, but 3.7.0 works fine.  The latest master passes,
> so everything should be fine when beta 3 is released.

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=BrightStar5&contributorTag=Cousin%20Ricky

The fuzzy circles don't look so great. I don't know if anything can be
done to improve them however. In video games, stars are often reduced to
1 pixel. But I don't think in POVray there's an easy way to make a star
exactly 1 pixel big. Maybe with some trigonometry?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

But I don't think in POVray there's an easy way to make a star
> exactly 1 pixel big. Maybe with some trigonometry?

I worked that out obtain a constant-apparent-width cylinder for a bounding box,
and a Dupin cyclide for orbital trajectories.
Obtaining a constant 1-pixel width is pretty trivial with the orthographic
camera, since with the default camera, IIRC, 1 POV-unit = 1 pixel.

Post a reply to this message

Le 10/02/2018 à 04:23, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> But I don't think in POVray there's an easy way to make a star
>> exactly 1 pixel big. Maybe with some trigonometry?
>
> I worked that out obtain a constant-apparent-width cylinder for a bounding box,
> and a Dupin cyclide for orbital trajectories.
> Obtaining a constant 1-pixel width is pretty trivial with the orthographic
> camera, since with the default camera, IIRC, 1 POV-unit = 1 pixel.

not really.
Unless your default camera is
  up image_height*y
  right image_width*x