POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : 2008 Q4 News Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:36:07 EDT (-0400)
  2008 Q4 News (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Chris B
Subject: 2008 Q4 News
Date: 31 Dec 2008 15:59:22
Message: <495bdd2a$1@news.povray.org>
First I'd like to thank all those who have contributed to the object
collection at http://lib.povray.org/ since it opened its doors just over a
year ago. It now contains some fantastic POV-Ray models.

We've had about 24000 downloads this year which indicates that people in the
POV-Ray community are finding the collection to be of benefit. The peak
months have been November and December with about 4000 downloads.

Purpose
--------
It's been a while since the the aims of the collection were discussed, so
it's probably worth reiterating the objectives.

  o  This collection was created to hold a wide variety of POV-Ray items
under a clear, open, common license  that encourages modification and
redistribution (CC-LGPL).

  o  The site is hosted on povray.org and is open to anyone to
download and to anyone to contribute. You can self-register and upload
content, making it low maintenance and hopefully making it less prone to the
sort of problems that have plagued collections in the past where sites have
fallen into dissuse.

  o  The collection supports models of individual objects that people can
just include in their scenes, macros to create custom objects, but also
textures, macros to perform standard tasks etc. You can submit any POV-Ray
or Moray files that people might find useful.

  o  Simple naming conventions have been adopted so that different objects
can be used in the same scene without them interfering with each other.

If you have any ideas that might help build the collection or if there's
anything that's been deterring you from helping then feel free to discuss
issues
on this forum.

New Stuff
-----------
SharkD has continued to build on his strong body of work this last quarter.
Having written the FractalObjects macros and the HabitablePlanet
generator he's also continued to improve his LegoRoad macros.

The new Blockwall macros incorporate quite a few canned objects,
including definitions for two different styles of stone bridge, a stone clad
tower containing a spiral staircase, a couple of building shells and a
wishing well along with various other objects that you may find useful in
their own right. The CurvedPaving macro is another recent addition, so along
with the other stonework macros already in the collection you can now
generate a pretty wide range of masonry.

Leader Board
--------------
Nekar Xenos' Galaxy macro currently holds on to top place for the year in
terms of the total number of downloads. For those interested in the
statistics, I've updated the download summary page at
http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/downloadsummary.php?rollup=1&sort=total
so that you can sort by individual month as well as by the other column
headings. I've also added links through to the object details from that
page.

Here's wishing you all the best for the New Year,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message