POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Assigning sphere colours using rgb Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:37:47 EDT (-0400)
  Assigning sphere colours using rgb (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: david
Subject: Assigning sphere colours using rgb
Date: 22 Aug 2017 18:10:01
Message: <web.599cab5be8844a66c326978c0@news.povray.org>
I am trying to plot spheres with positions and colours taken from a text file.

This message (
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.4f05a8fc1cabb177be8719c80@news.povray.org%3E/
) has helped with the initial plotting, but I cannot get the colours to render.
What am I doing wrong please?

Example code

#include "colors.inc"

global_settings {
 assumed_gamma 1.0
 ambient_light White
}

light_source { <50,50,-50> color White }

camera {
  sky <0, 0, -1>
  look_at <0, 0, 0>
  location <-25, 10,-25>
}

plane { <0,0,-1>, 0
  pigment { color White }
}

#fopen FileHandle1 "coords1.txt" read
#while (defined(FileHandle1))
     #read (FileHandle1, v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, v6)
     sphere { <v1, v2, v3>,    2
      texture { pigment{ rgb <v4, v5, v6> }
                finish { reflection 1  }}}
#end

And the coords1.txt file

10,0,-10,0,178,238,
-10,10,-10,238,174,238,
-10,-10,-10,176,196,222,

(I got the rgb colours from using `col2rgb(c("deepskyblue2", "plum2",
"lightsteelblue"))` in the R software)

Post a reply to this message

> I am trying to plot spheres with positions and colours taken from a text file.
>
> This message (

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.4f05a8fc1cabb177be8719c80@news.povray.org%3E/
> ) has helped with the initial plotting, but I cannot get the colours to render.
> What am I doing wrong please?
>
> Example code
>
> #include "colors.inc"
>
> global_settings {
>   assumed_gamma 1.0
>   ambient_light White
> }
>
> light_source { <50,50,-50> color White }
>
> camera {
>    sky <0, 0, -1>
>    look_at <0, 0, 0>
>    location <-25, 10,-25>
> }
>
> plane { <0,0,-1>, 0
>    pigment { color White }
> }
>
> #fopen FileHandle1 "coords1.txt" read
> #while (defined(FileHandle1))
>       #read (FileHandle1, v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, v6)
>       sphere { <v1, v2, v3>,    2
>        texture { pigment{ rgb <v4, v5, v6> }
>                  finish { reflection 1  }}}
> #end

> And the coords1.txt file
>
> 10,0,-10,0,178,238,
This one show as cyant
> -10,10,-10,238,174,238,
> -10,-10,-10,176,196,222,
Those two show as pure white.
In a radiosity scene, they'll have a huge impact on any neibouring tints.

> (I got the rgb colours from using `col2rgb(c("deepskyblue2", "plum2",
> "lightsteelblue"))` in the R software)

In POV-Ray, all colours are in the 0..1 range. Anything larger than that
gets shown as if they where set at 1.
If you see those on a slightly reflective surface, then, you'll be able
to see the actual colours. Try a plane with this texture:
texture{pigment{rgb 0} finish{reflection 1/200 diffuse 0 ambient 0}}

What you need is to divide your 0..255 range values by 255 as follow:
texture { pigment{ rgb <v4/255, v5/255, v6/255> }

OR, use this shorter form :
texture { pigment{ rgb <v4, v5, v6>/255 }

As those are probably gamma precomputed, using srgb is probably beter :
texture { pigment{ srgb <v4, v5, v6>/255 }

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> > I am trying to plot spheres with positions and colours taken from a text file.
> >
> > This message (

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.4f05a8fc1cabb177be8719c80@news.povray.org%3E/
> > ) has helped with the initial plotting, but I cannot get the colours to render.
> > What am I doing wrong please?
> >
> > Example code
> >
> > #include "colors.inc"
> >
> > global_settings {
> >   assumed_gamma 1.0
> >   ambient_light White
> > }
> >
> > light_source { <50,50,-50> color White }
> >
> > camera {
> >    sky <0, 0, -1>
> >    look_at <0, 0, 0>
> >    location <-25, 10,-25>
> > }
> >
> > plane { <0,0,-1>, 0
> >    pigment { color White }
> > }
> >
> > #fopen FileHandle1 "coords1.txt" read
> > #while (defined(FileHandle1))
> >       #read (FileHandle1, v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, v6)
> >       sphere { <v1, v2, v3>,    2
> >        texture { pigment{ rgb <v4, v5, v6> }
> >                  finish { reflection 1  }}}
> > #end

> > And the coords1.txt file
> >
> > 10,0,-10,0,178,238,
> This one show as cyant
> > -10,10,-10,238,174,238,
> > -10,-10,-10,176,196,222,
> Those two show as pure white.
> In a radiosity scene, they'll have a huge impact on any neibouring tints.
>

> > (I got the rgb colours from using `col2rgb(c("deepskyblue2", "plum2",
> > "lightsteelblue"))` in the R software)
> >

> In POV-Ray, all colours are in the 0..1 range. Anything larger than that
> gets shown as if they where set at 1.
> If you see those on a slightly reflective surface, then, you'll be able
> to see the actual colours. Try a plane with this texture:
> texture{pigment{rgb 0} finish{reflection 1/200 diffuse 0 ambient 0}}
>
> What you need is to divide your 0..255 range values by 255 as follow:
> texture { pigment{ rgb <v4/255, v5/255, v6/255> }
>
> OR, use this shorter form :
> texture { pigment{ rgb <v4, v5, v6>/255 }
>
> As those are probably gamma precomputed, using srgb is probably beter :
> texture { pigment{ srgb <v4, v5, v6>/255 }
>

> Alain

Post a reply to this message

>> I am trying to plot spheres with positions and colours taken from a
>> text file.
>>

>> ) has helped with the initial plotting, but I cannot get the colours
>> to render.
>> What am I doing wrong please?

>> global_settings {
>>   assumed_gamma 1.0
>>   ambient_light White
>> }

> As those are probably gamma precomputed, using srgb is probably beter :
> texture { pigment{ srgb <v4, v5, v6>/255 }

If you intend to do a "2D like" picture with exact match of the colour,
you should use also "assumed_gamma srgb" in global settings and "finish
{ ambient 1 diffuse 0 reflection 0}".

no need of light source in such settings.

And do not forget to start with a #version 3.7;

Post a reply to this message