POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : how to make circular arrow with gap b/w head&tail Server Time
2 Jun 2024 10:43:37 EDT (-0400)
  how to make circular arrow with gap b/w head&tail (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Marina
Subject: how to make circular arrow with gap b/w head&tail
Date: 3 Jan 2012 15:00:01
Message: <web.4f035d2b8c7cccf99ab719e60@news.povray.org>
I am trying to create the symbol to show circular polarization for a physics
diagram so I need an arrow in the shape of a circle. However, the only way I can
currently do it is to just make a circle and add a cone in one section... what I
want is a slight gap between the head and tail of the arrow so it's not all just
one continuous object. I haven't figured out how to use the features of POV-Ray
that let you 'take away' from objects. Could anyone show me what the easiest way
to go about this would be? At least point me in the right direction? I'd really
appreciate it.
Thanks! :)

Post a reply to this message

Le 03/01/2012 20:55, Marina nous fit lire :
> I am trying to create the symbol to show circular polarization for a physics
> diagram so I need an arrow in the shape of a circle. However, the only way I can
> currently do it is to just make a circle and add a cone in one section... what I
> want is a slight gap between the head and tail of the arrow so it's not all just
> one continuous object. I haven't figured out how to use the features of POV-Ray
> that let you 'take away' from objects. Could anyone show me what the easiest way
> to go about this would be? At least point me in the right direction? I'd really
> appreciate it.
> Thanks! :)

Hello,

try to thing in 3D... your circle can be a torus.
CSG is what you need.

something along:

union
{
  cone { 3*z,1,3*z+3*x,0 }
  difference {
    torus { 3,0.2 }
    box { <0,-1,0>,<4,1,4> }
  }
  // apply texture as needed
}

Post a reply to this message

"Marina" <mbr### [at] huskersunledu> wrote:
> I am trying to create the symbol to show circular polarization for a physics
> diagram so I need an arrow in the shape of a circle. However, the only way I can
> currently do it is to just make a circle and add a cone in one section... what I
> want is a slight gap between the head and tail of the arrow so it's not all just
> one continuous object. I haven't figured out how to use the features of POV-Ray
> that let you 'take away' from objects. Could anyone show me what the easiest way
> to go about this would be? At least point me in the right direction? I'd really
> appreciate it.
> Thanks! :)

"Marina" <mbr### [at] huskersunledu> wrote:
> I am trying to create the symbol to show circular polarization for a physics
> diagram so I need an arrow in the shape of a circle. However, the only way I can
> currently do it is to just make a circle and add a cone in one section... what I
> want is a slight gap between the head and tail of the arrow so it's not all just
> one continuous object. I haven't figured out how to use the features of POV-Ray
> that let you 'take away' from objects. Could anyone show me what the easiest way
> to go about this would be? At least point me in the right direction? I'd really
> appreciate it.
> Thanks! :)

I think you just need to read up on the difference statement.   Make your cone.
Make your torus.  Make another object - a box or something to cut away the shape
you want to remove from the torus.   Then combine the code for the box (or
whatever) and the torus into a difference statement:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/306/

This is from Pov-Ray for Windows's "Insert" menu:

// CSG difference, subtract intersections of shapes 2...N from Shape1
difference {
  Shape1 {...} // Start with this shape
  Shape2 {...} // This will be "cut out" of Shape1
  ShapeN {...} // This will be "cut out" of Shape1
}

On the other hand, does it have to be a cone and a torus?   You might also look
into prisms.  Maybe make a closed linear 2D spline, and use it as the basis of
your prism.... to extrude it to 3D.   Then you could have a nicely shaped tail
on it.  (Using a linear spline, as opposed to some other type of spline would
make it easy to create sharp corners and angles.)

Charles