POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Spaceship with emissive turbine Server Time
30 Jun 2024 14:56:03 EDT (-0400)
  Spaceship with emissive turbine (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: gregtom6
Subject: Spaceship with emissive turbine
Date: 4 Apr 2011 04:55:01
Message: <web.4d9986b815c20dd7692e56d30@news.povray.org>
Hy all!

I must do a believable emissive turbine for a spaceship. What methods should I
use for that?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Spaceship with emissive turbine
Date: 4 Apr 2011 06:44:44
Message: <4d99a11c$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/04/2011 9:52 AM, gregtom6 wrote:
> Hy all!
>
> I must do a believable emissive turbine for a spaceship. What methods should I
> use for that?

What is an emissive turbine and how would a roundy round thing fit in a
spaceship?

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 4 Apr 2011 14:33:48
Message: <4d9a0f0c$1@news.povray.org>

> Hy all!
>
> I must do a believable emissive turbine for a spaceship. What methods should I
> use for that?

Just what is an "emissive turbine"?

You ether force some fluid into a turbine to get a circular motion or
use a circular motion to pump some fluid through the turbine, usualy at
great speed or persure.

NO "beleivable" spaceship EVER use a turbine for anything else than push
propergols into it rocket engines. Those turbines are usualy NOT visible
except in a closeup of the area behind the rockets. And, those looks
just like your regular turbine. Just take a look at a turbo charger for
a good example.

And no, SF movies spaceships are absolutely not beleivable except some
from Babylon 5. The Furyes fighters are the most beleivable space
fighters ever in any movie. Ther maneuvering is physicaly correct.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: gregtom6
Date: 5 Apr 2011 15:45:00
Message: <web.4d9b70ad7bbdb3f9b8327de80@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > Hy all!
> >
> > I must do a believable emissive turbine for a spaceship. What methods should I
> > use for that?
> >

> Just what is an "emissive turbine"?
>
> You ether force some fluid into a turbine to get a circular motion or
> use a circular motion to pump some fluid through the turbine, usualy at
> great speed or persure.
>
> NO "beleivable" spaceship EVER use a turbine for anything else than push
> propergols into it rocket engines. Those turbines are usualy NOT visible
> except in a closeup of the area behind the rockets. And, those looks
> just like your regular turbine. Just take a look at a turbo charger for
> a good example.
>
> And no, SF movies spaceships are absolutely not beleivable except some
> from Babylon 5. The Furyes fighters are the most beleivable space
> fighters ever in any movie. Ther maneuvering is physicaly correct.
>

> Alain

I have already done with this emissive turbine. I have modified an another code,
what represents a candle flame.
Now I have a spaceship with blue flame.

I have a big problem. If I put this code to my pov file:
include "stars.inc"
sphere{ <0,0,0>, 1
        texture{ pigment{color rgb<0,1,0>}//Starfield1 scale 0.2
               } // end of texture
        scale 1000000
      }
Then I can't see the flame. How can I solve this problem? That's very important.
This is the code of the blue flame:
object{

  merge{    // egg
intersection{
   sphere{<0,0,0>,1}  box{<-1,-1,-1>,< 1,1  ,1>} scale <1,2.5,1>}
intersection{
   sphere{<0,0,0>,1}  box{<-1,-1 ,-1>,< 1,0+0.01,1>} }
}//- ------------------------------------------------
  hollow
  pigment { color rgbf<1, 1, 1, 1> } // fully transparent !!!
  finish { ambient 0 diffuse 0 }
  interior {
    media {
      //emission    color rgb < 1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*1.75
      emission    color rgb < 0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*2.75
      intervals 9
      samples 1, 20
      confidence 0.9999
      variance 1/100
      density{ spherical
               ramp_wave
               turbulence 0.15
               color_map {
                  [0.0 color rgb <0.0, 0.0, 0.0>]
                  [0.6 color rgb <0.8, 0.3, 0.0>]
                  [0.9 color rgb <1.0, 0.8, 0.3>]
                  [1.0 color rgb <1.0, 1.0, 0.1>]
                         }
               scale <1,2.5,1>
             } // end density
     }//end of media

     media {
       //emission color rgb < 1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*2.75
       emission color rgb < 0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*5.75
       intervals 3
       samples 32
       method 3
       aa_threshold 0.1 aa_level 5
       density {crackle  turbulence 0.8
                scale 0.75 translate<0,24,0>
                color_map {
                    [0 rgb 0]
                    [0.00 rgb 0]
                    [0.07 rgb 1]
                    [0.10 rgb 1]
                    [0.12 rgb 0]
                    [1.00 rgb 0]
                }
            } // end density
       density {spherical
                color_map {
                    [0 rgb 0]
                    [0.7 rgb 1]
                    [1 rgb 1]
                }
            } // end density
           scale <2,5,2>*0.5
       translate<0,0.01,0>
     }// end media

    }//end of interior
   //scale <1,1.5,1>*0.5
   //rotate<90,90,0>
   scale <1, 1.5,1 >*0.5
   translate  <-2.5, -5, -0.3>
   rotate<90,90,0>
   hollow // !!!!
  }

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 5 Apr 2011 16:17:20
Message: <4d9b78d0$1@news.povray.org>
gregtom6 wrote:

> I have a big problem. If I put this code to my pov file:
> include "stars.inc"
> sphere{ <0,0,0>, 1
>         texture{ pigment{color rgb<0,1,0>}//Starfield1 scale 0.2
>                } // end of texture
>         scale 1000000
>       }
> Then I can't see the flame. How can I solve this problem? That's very important.

Add the "hollow" keyword to the big sphere, as media
will not work inside a non-hollow object.

Post a reply to this message

From: gregtom6
Date: 5 Apr 2011 16:40:00
Message: <web.4d9b7de77bbdb3f9b8327de80@news.povray.org>
> gregtom6 wrote:
>
> > I have a big problem. If I put this code to my pov file:
> > include "stars.inc"
> > sphere{ <0,0,0>, 1
> >         texture{ pigment{color rgb<0,1,0>}//Starfield1 scale 0.2
> >                } // end of texture
> >         scale 1000000
> >       }
> > Then I can't see the flame. How can I solve this problem? That's very important.
>
> Add the "hollow" keyword to the big sphere, as media
> will not work inside a non-hollow object.

Thanks a lot:) You saved me so much time.:) Thanks again.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 5 Apr 2011 18:52:55
Message: <4d9b9d47@news.povray.org>

Media tip:

>    interior {
>      media {
>        //emission    color rgb<  1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*1.75
>        emission    color rgb<  0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*2.75
>        intervals 9
This MUST remain at the default value of 1.
>        samples 1, 20
The second value is always ignored.
Use:
intervals 1
samples 100 // because of the crackle pattern

It should render faster.

>        confidence 0.9999
Not needed.
>        variance 1/100
Also not needed.
>        density{ spherical
.
.
.

>       media {
2 medias in the same container should use the same parameters.
>         //emission color rgb<  1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*2.75
>         emission color rgb<  0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*5.75
>         intervals 3
Keep at intervals 1
>         samples 32
samples 100
>         method 3
Method 3 is the default, you don't need to force it.
>         aa_threshold 0.1 aa_level 5
>         density {crackle  turbulence 0.8
.
.
.

The actual default values for media are:
method 3
intervals 1
samples 10
confidance (NOT used)
variance (NOT used)

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 5 Apr 2011 18:54:51
Message: <4d9b9dbb$1@news.povray.org>

It looks like what you call a "turbine" should be called a "rocket
thruster" or "rocket engine"

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: gregtom6
Date: 6 Apr 2011 06:30:01
Message: <web.4d9c3fbd7bbdb3f9dca78c960@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> Media tip:
>
> >    interior {
> >      media {
> >        //emission    color rgb<  1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*1.75
> >        emission    color rgb<  0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*2.75
> >        intervals 9
> This MUST remain at the default value of 1.
> >        samples 1, 20
> The second value is always ignored.
> Use:
> intervals 1
> samples 100 // because of the crackle pattern
>
> It should render faster.
>
> >        confidence 0.9999
> Not needed.
> >        variance 1/100
> Also not needed.
> >        density{ spherical
> .
> .
> .
>
> >       media {
> 2 medias in the same container should use the same parameters.
> >         //emission color rgb<  1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*2.75
> >         emission color rgb<  0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*5.75
> >         intervals 3
> Keep at intervals 1
> >         samples 32
> samples 100
> >         method 3
> Method 3 is the default, you don't need to force it.
> >         aa_threshold 0.1 aa_level 5
> >         density {crackle  turbulence 0.8
> .
> .
> .
>
> The actual default values for media are:
> method 3
> intervals 1
> samples 10
> confidance (NOT used)
> variance (NOT used)
>

> Alain

Sorry, but I experience slowly rendering...There's a giant difference in
rendering speed, using these tips I get a very slow rendering.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 6 Apr 2011 14:24:22
Message: <4d9cafd6@news.povray.org>

> Alain<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote:

>> Media tip:
>>
>>>     interior {
>>>       media {
>>>         //emission    color rgb<   1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*1.75
>>>         emission    color rgb<   0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*2.75
>>>         intervals 9
>> This MUST remain at the default value of 1.
>>>         samples 1, 20
>> The second value is always ignored.
>> Use:
>> intervals 1
>> samples 100 // because of the crackle pattern
>>
>> It should render faster.
>>
>>>         confidence 0.9999
>> Not needed.
>>>         variance 1/100
>> Also not needed.
>>>         density{ spherical
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>>>        media {
>> 2 medias in the same container should use the same parameters.
>>>          //emission color rgb<   1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*2.75
>>>          emission color rgb<   0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*5.75
>>>          intervals 3
>> Keep at intervals 1
>>>          samples 32
>> samples 100
>>>          method 3
>> Method 3 is the default, you don't need to force it.
>>>          aa_threshold 0.1 aa_level 5
>>>          density {crackle  turbulence 0.8
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>> The actual default values for media are:
>> method 3
>> intervals 1
>> samples 10
>> confidance (NOT used)
>> variance (NOT used)
>>

>> Alain
>
> Sorry, but I experience slowly rendering...There's a giant difference in
> rendering speed, using these tips I get a very slow rendering.

It's probably because, in your original scene, with your original
parameters, you had only 9 samples for each medias: 1 for each
intervals, with the settings from the first media overiding those of the
second.

Now, each medias get sampled 100 times and you get very acurate results.
There are chance that you can use less samples. Try something like
samples 20 to samples 30

much beter performances. The more intervals there are, the slower the
rendering speed.

intervals 10 samples 5 (50 total samples) is MUCH slower than
intervals 1 samples 100 that have twice the number of samples.

Your media with the crackle pattern going from intervals 3 samples 32 to
intervals 1 samples 100 get faster and have 4 more samples.

Alain