POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Spaceship with emissive turbine : Re: Spaceship with emissive turbine Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spaceship with emissive turbine
From: Alain
Date: 6 Apr 2011 14:24:22
Message: <4d9cafd6@news.povray.org>

> Alain<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote:

>> Media tip:
>>
>>>     interior {
>>>       media {
>>>         //emission    color rgb<   1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*1.75
>>>         emission    color rgb<   0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*2.75
>>>         intervals 9
>> This MUST remain at the default value of 1.
>>>         samples 1, 20
>> The second value is always ignored.
>> Use:
>> intervals 1
>> samples 100 // because of the crackle pattern
>>
>> It should render faster.
>>
>>>         confidence 0.9999
>> Not needed.
>>>         variance 1/100
>> Also not needed.
>>>         density{ spherical
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>>>        media {
>> 2 medias in the same container should use the same parameters.
>>>          //emission color rgb<   1.0, 0.75, 0.1>*2.75
>>>          emission color rgb<   0.0, 0.1, 1.0>*5.75
>>>          intervals 3
>> Keep at intervals 1
>>>          samples 32
>> samples 100
>>>          method 3
>> Method 3 is the default, you don't need to force it.
>>>          aa_threshold 0.1 aa_level 5
>>>          density {crackle  turbulence 0.8
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>> The actual default values for media are:
>> method 3
>> intervals 1
>> samples 10
>> confidance (NOT used)
>> variance (NOT used)
>>

>> Alain
>
> Sorry, but I experience slowly rendering...There's a giant difference in
> rendering speed, using these tips I get a very slow rendering.

It's probably because, in your original scene, with your original
parameters, you had only 9 samples for each medias: 1 for each
intervals, with the settings from the first media overiding those of the
second.

Now, each medias get sampled 100 times and you get very acurate results.
There are chance that you can use less samples. Try something like
samples 20 to samples 30

much beter performances. The more intervals there are, the slower the
rendering speed.

intervals 10 samples 5 (50 total samples) is MUCH slower than
intervals 1 samples 100 that have twice the number of samples.

Your media with the crackle pattern going from intervals 3 samples 32 to
intervals 1 samples 100 get faster and have 4 more samples.

Alain