POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Seed Noise Generators? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:30:19 EDT (-0400)
  Seed Noise Generators? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: JSmith
Subject: Seed Noise Generators?
Date: 19 Dec 2010 11:10:00
Message: <web.4d0e2e4e33f6a49ef14d496f0@news.povray.org>
Hi Users,

I was wondering if it's possible to seed the noise generators such as f_noise?

Thanks for your help

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Seed Noise Generators?
Date: 19 Dec 2010 11:59:49
Message: <4d0e3a05@news.povray.org>
Am 19.12.2010 17:09, schrieb JSmith:
> Hi Users,
>
> I was wondering if it's possible to seed the noise generators such as f_noise?

No, not without changing the POV-Ray source code.

You can add a random offset to the function though, i.e.

#declare R = seed(4711);
#declare Rx = rand(R);
#declare Ry = rand(R);
#declare Rz = rand(R);
#declare my_f_noise3d = function( f_noise3d(x-Rx,y-Ry,z-Rz) }

Post a reply to this message

> > I was wondering if it's possible to seed the noise generators such as f_noise?
>
> No, not without changing the POV-Ray source code.
>
> You can add a random offset to the function though, i.e.
>
> #declare R = seed(4711);
> #declare Rx = rand(R);
> #declare Ry = rand(R);
> #declare Rz = rand(R);
> #declare my_f_noise3d = function( f_noise3d(x-Rx,y-Ry,z-Rz) }

Thanks for the reply!

Will seeding for f_noise be implemented in source in future releases?

Post a reply to this message

> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> Am 19.12.2010 17:09, schrieb JSmith:
>>> Hi Users,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if it's possible to seed the noise generators such as f_noise?
>>
>> No, not without changing the POV-Ray source code.
>>
>> You can add a random offset to the function though, i.e.
>>
>> #declare R = seed(4711);
>> #declare Rx = rand(R);
>> #declare Ry = rand(R);
>> #declare Rz = rand(R);
>> #declare my_f_noise3d = function( f_noise3d(x-Rx,y-Ry,z-Rz) }
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Will seeding for f_noise be implemented in source in future releases?

Well, note that noise isn't a simple random function you can "seed". Perlin
noise is a bit more complicated than that. A random offset position will
pretty much give you a good "random" seed.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message