POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Extruded polygons Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:07:37 EDT (-0400)
  Extruded polygons (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: feraudyh
Subject: Extruded polygons
Date: 20 Apr 2010 07:25:00
Message: <web.4bcd8ed031f0dd8c4d6c0ba80@news.povray.org>
Hello,
  Apart from suing POV for fun, I have a very simple professional need:

I need to display some extruded polygons that lie in a plane, each with its own
height. Each polygon represents the base of a building, and the height is the
height of the building. In other words I wish to display a 3D view of a
district.

I used to program in POV ray about 15 years ago and have not practiced since.
I have a book called Ray Tracing Creations from the Waite Group. Is this still
valid? In any case it doesnt seem to mention polygons (from a cursory
examination).

So I imagine my need is very simple.

Thankyou for your attention.
Henri

Post a reply to this message

> I need to display some extruded polygons that lie in a plane, each with its own
> height.

  The 'prism' primitive is what you are looking for:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_4#Prism

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    Apart from suing POV for fun, I have a very simple professional need:

I hope you're /using/, not suing (or at least not just for fun) :-P

SCNR

Post a reply to this message

>    Apart from suing POV for fun, I have a very simple professional need:
>
> I need to display some extruded polygons that lie in a plane, each with its own
> height. Each polygon represents the base of a building, and the height is the
> height of the building. In other words I wish to display a 3D view of a
> district.
>
> I used to program in POV ray about 15 years ago and have not practiced since.
> I have a book called Ray Tracing Creations from the Waite Group. Is this still
> valid? In any case it doesnt seem to mention polygons (from a cursory
> examination).
>
> So I imagine my need is very simple.
>
> Thankyou for your attention.
> Henri

It looks like a perfect use for a prism. And the simplest one at that.

prism{Base_level, Top_level, Number_Of_Points, [a list of 2D points]
texture{Some_texture}rotation Some_rotation translate Some_displacement}

Using the default spline type and sweep type: linear_spline and linear_sweep

As those are default, they are optionals.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> > I need to display some extruded polygons that lie in a plane, each with its own
> > height.
>
>   The 'prism' primitive is what you are looking for:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_4#Prism
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Goodness, what Freudian slip!!
Thankyou.

Post a reply to this message

> >    Apart from suing POV for fun, I have a very simple professional need:
> >
> > I need to display some extruded polygons that lie in a plane, each with its own
> > height. Each polygon represents the base of a building, and the height is the
> > height of the building. In other words I wish to display a 3D view of a
> > district.
> >
> > I used to program in POV ray about 15 years ago and have not practiced since.
> > I have a book called Ray Tracing Creations from the Waite Group. Is this still
> > valid? In any case it doesnt seem to mention polygons (from a cursory
> > examination).
> >
> > So I imagine my need is very simple.
> >
> > Thankyou for your attention.
> > Henri
> >

> It looks like a perfect use for a prism. And the simplest one at that.
>
> prism{Base_level, Top_level, Number_Of_Points, [a list of 2D points]
> texture{Some_texture}rotation Some_rotation translate Some_displacement}
>
> Using the default spline type and sweep type: linear_spline and linear_sweep
>
> As those are default, they are optionals.
>

> Alain

Thanks all you people!