POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Extruded polygons : Re: Extruded polygons Server Time
7 Jul 2024 08:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extruded polygons
From: Alain
Date: 20 Apr 2010 19:24:54
Message: <4bce37c6$1@news.povray.org>

> Hello,
>    Apart from suing POV for fun, I have a very simple professional need:
>
> I need to display some extruded polygons that lie in a plane, each with its own
> height. Each polygon represents the base of a building, and the height is the
> height of the building. In other words I wish to display a 3D view of a
> district.
>
> I used to program in POV ray about 15 years ago and have not practiced since.
> I have a book called Ray Tracing Creations from the Waite Group. Is this still
> valid? In any case it doesnt seem to mention polygons (from a cursory
> examination).
>
> So I imagine my need is very simple.
>
> Thankyou for your attention.
> Henri

It looks like a perfect use for a prism. And the simplest one at that.

prism{Base_level, Top_level, Number_Of_Points, [a list of 2D points]
texture{Some_texture}rotation Some_rotation translate Some_displacement}

Using the default spline type and sweep type: linear_spline and linear_sweep

As those are default, they are optionals.

Alain