POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : material_list ? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:36:54 EDT (-0400)
  material_list ? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mr
Subject: material_list ?
Date: 20 Feb 2010 19:40:01
Message: <web.4b807fd4c27436e467c1a48a0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
It seems we can use "texture_list" to map various textures across faces/verts of
a mesh.
But what if we want to map the whole material (with texture and interior
properties), is there a "material_list"?
(I've seen "material_map" but I guess this would not map them across geometry
but
rather across a bitmap texture...?)

Post a reply to this message

> It seems we can use "texture_list" to map various textures across faces/verts of
> a mesh.
> But what if we want to map the whole material (with texture and interior
> properties), is there a "material_list"?
> (I've seen "material_map" but I guess this would not map them across geometry
> but
> rather across a bitmap texture...?)

This part of the documentation should answer your question:
<http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/411/>

Post a reply to this message

> It seems we can use "texture_list" to map various textures across faces/verts of
> a mesh.
> But what if we want to map the whole material (with texture and interior
> properties), is there a "material_list"?
> (I've seen "material_map" but I guess this would not map them across geometry
> but
> rather across a bitmap texture...?)

Short answer:

There can be only one interior in any object. If you have a
material_list, then, all materials MUST have the same interior.

The only case where it could have a meaning to have different interiors
would be an average pattern. And then, it would be rather tricky...

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> > It seems we can use "texture_list" to map various textures across faces/verts of
> > a mesh.
> > But what if we want to map the whole material (with texture and interior
> > properties), is there a "material_list"?
> > (I've seen "material_map" but I guess this would not map them across geometry
> > but
> > rather across a bitmap texture...?)
> >

> Short answer:
>
> There can be only one interior in any object. If you have a
> material_list, then, all materials MUST have the same interior.
>
> The only case where it could have a meaning to have different interiors
> would be an average pattern. And then, it would be rather tricky...
>

> Alain

It's been a long time, but since I bumped against the same issue again, I guess
this discussion could go on here?

Your answer seems to imply the paradigm of POV-Ray used as some kind of
physically accurate renderer, but I like the fact that it can do many other
things. So let me reformulate this question: would multi-interior mesh2 objects
be hard to code as a new feature?

That way, with a material_list you could ship the ior to different parts of the
mesh having different materials like blender can do. Currently in the Blender
exporter, POV-Ray "materials" cannot be supported because of this, only
"textures".

Post a reply to this message

>>> It seems we can use "texture_list" to map various textures across faces/verts of
>>> a mesh.
>>> But what if we want to map the whole material (with texture and interior
>>> properties), is there a "material_list"?
>>> (I've seen "material_map" but I guess this would not map them across geometry
>>> but
>>> rather across a bitmap texture...?)
>>>

>> Short answer:
>>
>> There can be only one interior in any object. If you have a
>> material_list, then, all materials MUST have the same interior.
>>
>> The only case where it could have a meaning to have different interiors
>> would be an average pattern. And then, it would be rather tricky...
>>

>> Alain
>

> It's been a long time, but since I bumped against the same issue again, I guess
> this discussion could go on here?
>

> Your answer seems to imply the paradigm of POV-Ray used as some kind of
> physically accurate renderer, but I like the fact that it can do many other
> things. So let me reformulate this question: would multi-interior mesh2 objects
> be hard to code as a new feature?
>
> That way, with a material_list you could ship the ior to different parts of the
> mesh having different materials like blender can do. Currently in the Blender
> exporter, POV-Ray "materials" cannot be supported because of this, only
> "textures".

I'm afraid of a glitch of semantic between both worlds (blender & POV-Ray).

shapes have textures (on the surface) and interior (as IOR and media).
material (POV-Ray) is mainly a grouping of a rabbit and a carp: a
convenient way to reference together a set of properties, but nothing else.

If a closed mesh (mesh2 is only a syntax, the object is a mesh) can have
multiple interior, either it could be split in multiple closed meshes
(one for each non overlapping interior) or you are superposing the
interiors, in which case it's probably just a collection of various
media and such thing is already possible in POV-Ray.

The previous paragraph is true even if it is not a closed mesh (but
speaking of interior without a closed volume seems pointless)

And to finish it regarding media: they can already have a density
pattern (and they can be combined too:
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/422/

)

About multiple IOR...or even gradient of IOR: well, forget it, the only
way it to define sub-containers.

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.