POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : New User Checking In Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:47:08 EDT (-0400)
  New User Checking In (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: R'Lee
Subject: New User Checking In
Date: 20 Oct 2009 07:25:01
Message: <web.4add9ab64fbf7b498cc95c800@news.povray.org>
Howdy All. While exploring the Internet for artistic inspiration I happened
across POV-Ray and decided to give it a try. That was Yesterday. I began working
my way through the tutorials of course. Right off the bat I noticed that the
tutorial in describing lighting makes reference to something which is not
obviously available in the program. Specifically the tutorial says to render one
of the examples at "200x150 -A" This setting is not readily available in the
preset rendering options drop down. Not only is this setting not available but
editing the file for the resolutions where none of the settings look anything
like what is already in the file.
This resolution is not readily available without going into parts of the program
that a newbie shouldn't go into until at least the beginning of the advanced
tutorials.
Well it's just my opinion having found similar situations in many tutorials
throughout the internet. The problem is one of a program coming out with a new
version (call it an updated version if you like) and the tutorials not being up
to date with the new version.
This situation has a tendency of confusing a person who is simply trying to
learn a program.

Well anyway...I just wanted to drop in and say Hey. I am fairly excited about
learning this new (to me) program. It looks like just the software I've been
looking for to render some art projects I've had rattling around my brain pan
for a while.

Well I guess that's enough for my first rant.
Hope you guys will help where the tutorials fall through as I've described
above.

R'

Post a reply to this message

> obviously available in the program. Specifically the tutorial says to render one
> of the examples at "200x150 -A" This setting is not readily available in the
> preset rendering options drop down. Not only is this setting not available but

Just put +w200 +h150 -A on the commandline. -A just means no
anti-aliasing (if it's switched on in your default .INI

> editing the file for the resolutions where none of the settings look anything
> like what is already in the file.
> This resolution is not readily available without going into parts of the program
> that a newbie shouldn't go into until at least the beginning of the advanced
> tutorials.

Don't worry about going where you shouldn't go. The worst that will
happen is that Pov will complain and refuse to render; you won't break
anything. The best that will happen is you will have learned something :-)

> Well it's just my opinion having found similar situations in many tutorials
> throughout the internet. The problem is one of a program coming out with a new
> version (call it an updated version if you like) and the tutorials not being up
> to date with the new version.
> This situation has a tendency of confusing a person who is simply trying to
> learn a program.

Documentation is being updated as we speak :-) IIRC Jim Holsenback is
i/c updating the Pov wiki

> Well anyway...I just wanted to drop in and say Hey. I am fairly excited about
> learning this new (to me) program. It looks like just the software I've been
> looking for to render some art projects I've had rattling around my brain pan
> for a while.

Welcome to the club. We are here to help. Don't forget to read the FAQs
BTW It helps sometimes if you mention what platform you're running on
e.g. Windoze, Linux, Mac etc

John
--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei