POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : different lighting in scene Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:33:42 EDT (-0400)
  different lighting in scene (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: joost 1972
Subject: different lighting in scene
Date: 1 Sep 2009 09:25:00
Message: <web.4a9d1ff8cdbdcd722a36ae330@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm running into a problem with the lighting of my scene. I want to light the
background of my scene differently from the foreground. Can I combine two
scenes both with their own lighting, or appoint a light to a single (group of)
object(s)?

Using a parallel light in the back of my scene also lights the front. Using
fading is causing me new problems (I would like to be able to just cut a light
off at a certain point). Does anybody know a simple solution?

Thanks, Joost

Post a reply to this message

> I'm running into a problem with the lighting of my scene. I want to light the
> background of my scene differently from the foreground. Can I combine two
> scenes both with their own lighting, or appoint a light to a single (group of)
> object(s)?
>
> Using a parallel light in the back of my scene also lights the front. Using
> fading is causing me new problems (I would like to be able to just cut a light
> off at a certain point). Does anybody know a simple solution?
>
> Thanks, Joost

You can use a light_group.

Any light_source in a light group only shine on the objects that are
part of that light_group.

By default, those objects are also not lighted by any light_source that
are NOT part of the light_group. If you want to ALSO receive light from
other sources, you need to add "global_lights on" to the light_group.

An object that is not part of a light_group CAN cast shadows on the
objects of a light_group.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> I'm running into a problem with the lighting of my scene. I want to light the
> background of my scene differently from the foreground. Can I combine two
> scenes both with their own lighting, or appoint a light to a single (group of)
> object(s)?
>
> Using a parallel light in the back of my scene also lights the front. Using
> fading is causing me new problems (I would like to be able to just cut a light
> off at a certain point). Does anybody know a simple solution?
>
> Thanks, Joost

If you use the Windows version, look at section "3.4.8  Light Groups"
from the included documentations.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> If you use the Windows version, look at section "3.4.8  Light Groups"
> from the included documentations.

Grrrr. I've read through the whole 3.4.7 Light section numerous times and
struggled with fading lights and the answer was right under my nose. Totally
missed the next chapter.

Thanks a lot! (meant sincerely, not cynical)

Post a reply to this message

>> If you use the Windows version, look at section "3.4.8  Light Groups"
>> from the included documentations.
>>

> Grrrr. I've read through the whole 3.4.7 Light section numerous times and
> struggled with fading lights and the answer was right under my nose. Totally
> missed the next chapter.
>
> Thanks a lot! (meant sincerely, not cynical)

No problem. Everybody does just that, at least some of the time....

Alain