POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mirrored parametric object Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  mirrored parametric object (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: sven zenker
Subject: mirrored parametric object
Date: 23 May 2009 05:05:01
Message: <web.4a17bb7c93b529b6821ef8770@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I'm completely new to POVRAY, intention was to use it to quickly explore the
optical effects of a mirror defined using some equations. In the process of
setting things up, I find myself unable to obtain a correctly reflecting sphere
given as a parametric object. Staying close to published examples, I find that
this

camera { location <-1,3,-6> look_at <0,0,0> angle 35 }
light_source { <100,200,-200> color 1 }

// The floor
plane { <0,1,0>,-1 pigment { checker rgb <1,0,0>, rgb <1,1,0> } }

// A mirror sphere
sphere
{ <0,0,0>,1
  pigment { rgb <0,0,0> } // A perfect mirror with no color
  finish { reflection 1 } // It reflects all
}

renders a mirrored sphere with correct reflections of the checkerboard while
this

camera { location <-1,3,-6> look_at <0,0,0> angle 35 }
light_source { <100,200,-200> color 1 }

// The floor
plane { <0,1,0>,-1 pigment { checker rgb <1,0,0>, rgb <1,1,0> } }
// the sphere
parametric {
 function { sin(u)*cos(v) }
 function { sin(u)*sin(v) }
 function { cos(u) }

 <0,0>, <2*pi, pi>
 contained_by { sphere{0, 1.1} }
 accuracy 0.0001
 precompute 10 x,y,z
    pigment {
       rgb <0,0,0>
    }
    finish {
      reflection 1
    }
  }

gives a sphere, but with incorrect reflections (only a few colored
points/stripes)...

Any hints much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sven