POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Basic question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Basic question (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: joost 1972
Subject: Basic question
Date: 30 Sep 2008 11:30:01
Message: <web.48e24578b1b0190e2a36ae330@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with two basic questions:
1) I really like the coloring in the editor window, but can't seem to turn it on
for a few of my files (I assume its called "Color Syntax Highlighting", but that
option seems to be on everywhere, even in files that only have black&white
text.)
2) Is there the possibility to show the results of functions you use in macro's.
I've made a macro which involves rotating a triangle by the result of the
function (atan2), but it doesn't render as I expected it to. I would like to
see the plain number result of the function, in stead of just the final render,
because there could be numerous reasons why my triangle is not ending up where I
expected it to (for all I know it could be rotating 20 full circles and ending
up in nearly the same position it started in...)

Thanks, Joost

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:27:52 EDT, "joost_1972" <joo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>1) I really like the coloring in the editor window, but can't seem to turn it on
>for a few of my files (I assume its called "Color Syntax Highlighting", but that
>option seems to be on everywhere, even in files that only have black&white
>text.)

Do the files that are in black and white have a "pov" or "inc" extension?  Search for
"syntax highlighting" in the help file.

>2) Is there the possibility to show the results of functions you use in macro's.
>I've made a macro which involves rotating a triangle by the result of the
>function (atan2), but it doesn't render as I expected it to. I would like to
>see the plain number result of the function, in stead of just the final render,
>because there could be numerous reasons why my triangle is not ending up where I
>expected it to (for all I know it could be rotating 20 full circles and ending
>up in nearly the same position it started in...)

Look into the #debug statement.

Post a reply to this message

joost_1972 <joo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> 2) Is there the possibility to show the results of functions you use in macro's.
> I've made a macro which involves rotating a triangle by the result of the
> function (atan2), but it doesn't render as I expected it to. I would like to
> see the plain number result of the function, in stead of just the final render,
> because there could be numerous reasons why my triangle is not ending up where I
> expected it to (for all I know it could be rotating 20 full circles and ending
> up in nearly the same position it started in...)

#debug concat("The value is: ", str(atan2(5), 0, -1), "\n")

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message