POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : slim photon rendering Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:32:16 EDT (-0400)
  slim photon rendering (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: CAD-Andi
Subject: Re: slim photon rendering
Date: 25 Feb 2008 20:55:00
Message: <web.47c37047f8645352676ba3ea0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> A question: do you use more than one light_source? Are they at the same location?
>
> If you answered yes to both, replace them with a single light with an intensity
> egual to the sum of all current sources. This will reduce the number of protons
> to shoot and improve the quality. When several coincident light_source are
> shooting photons at the same target, they all shoot photons in the same pattern.
> It will also cut down on the shadow testing, resulting in another speed increase.
>
> --
> Alain

I'm only using one spotlight source. Why would I want to use several light
sources at the same location to begin with?

I'm really happy about all the responses. This board is really helpful!

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> This will reduce the number of protons to shoot and improve the quality.

Proton shooting sounds nice. For rendering cloud chambers
to visualize vapor trails of cosmic rays? Or simulating the
cancer rate of helpless Poser characters ;)

Post a reply to this message

CAD-Andi nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/25 20:49:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> A question: do you use more than one light_source? Are they at the same location?
>>
>> If you answered yes to both, replace them with a single light with an intensity
>> egual to the sum of all current sources. This will reduce the number of protons
>> to shoot and improve the quality. When several coincident light_source are
>> shooting photons at the same target, they all shoot photons in the same pattern.
>> It will also cut down on the shadow testing, resulting in another speed increase.
>>
>> --
>> Alain
>
> I'm only using one spotlight source. Why would I want to use several light
> sources at the same location to begin with?
>
> I'm really happy about all the responses. This board is really helpful!
>
> Thanks!

Some peoples don't realise that a light_source can have a colour greater than 1,
and endup piling several lights in the same location when they need some
brighter light.

--
Alain
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

A Hot Air Balloon is Male, because, to get it to go anywhere, you have to light
a fire under it, and of course, there's the hot air part.