POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Bent tube - step 1 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Bent tube - step 1 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Mutley2003
Subject: Bent tube - step 1
Date: 17 Aug 2007 20:00:00
Message: <web.46c6358dccd46d0d48ac4950@news.povray.org>
Hi there

What I am trying to do (am very inexperienced in Povray) is to create some
tubes (with open funnels at their tops) leading into a box, but via "crazy"
paths.

Maybe I can do the tubes via a sphere sweep, but for a start I would like to
see how I can do it with CSG (and not using Object Bender) .. the help says

"
1.4.1.11 How can I bend a object?

There is no direct support for bending in POV-Ray, but you can achieve
acceptable bending with the Object Bender by Chris Colefax.

Some objects can be "bent" by just modelling it with other objects. For
example a bent cylinder can be more easily (and accurately) achieved using
the intersection of a torus and some limiting objects.
"

Could someone help me out here with code for a 45 or 90 degree bent cylinder
"using the intersection of a torus and some limiting objects".

I have in my mind that this would be the way to go if I wanted to replicate
the type of plumbing that is done for stormwater pipes .. connection
sleeves that fit over the ends of the pipes.

Thanks a lot

Post a reply to this message

Mutley2003 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/17 19:55:
> Hi there
>
> What I am trying to do (am very inexperienced in Povray) is to create some
> tubes (with open funnels at their tops) leading into a box, but via "crazy"
> paths.
>
> Maybe I can do the tubes via a sphere sweep, but for a start I would like to
> see how I can do it with CSG (and not using Object Bender) .. the help says
>
> "
> 1.4.1.11 How can I bend a object?
>
> There is no direct support for bending in POV-Ray, but you can achieve
> acceptable bending with the Object Bender by Chris Colefax.
>
> Some objects can be "bent" by just modelling it with other objects. For
> example a bent cylinder can be more easily (and accurately) achieved using
> the intersection of a torus and some limiting objects.
> "
>
> Could someone help me out here with code for a 45 or 90 degree bent cylinder
> "using the intersection of a torus and some limiting objects".
intersection{torus{5,1}plane{-x,0}plane{x,0 rotate -45*z}}
intersection{torus{5,1}box{<0,0,2><6,6,-2>}}//make the box larger to prevent
coincident surfaces artefacts.

> I have in my mind that this would be the way to go if I wanted to replicate
> the type of plumbing that is done for stormwater pipes .. connection
> sleeves that fit over the ends of the pipes.
>
> Thanks a lot

You just can't bend an object.
In your case, tubes following tortuous paths, the easiest way is to use
sphere_sweep with b_spline or cubic_spline.

If you want to use cylinders and torus, you need to cut the torus using box,
orthogonal cuts, or pairs of planes, arbitrary cuts.
There is a macro that give you sections of torus in one of the default include
files.

--
Alain
OFFICE ARITHMETIC