POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ideas on how to accomplish this effect needed... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  Ideas on how to accomplish this effect needed... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: blooflame
Subject: Ideas on how to accomplish this effect needed...
Date: 2 May 2007 00:15:01
Message: <web.4638100b40b8ee6c7a9334df0@news.povray.org>
I am looking for help on an effect (or maybe it's two effects)

1. I want to create a 3D image which looks like transparencies stacked one
on top of the other. Each transparencey will have an image or text on it
(via image_map I think).   I can use Box{} to simulate the sheet with
dimensions of the sheet and z dimension being thickness (i.e. a very thin
box).  If I put several on top of each other will I need to increase the
maxtrace value?

2. Is it possible to determine where on the Box{} the image is placed?

Post a reply to this message

>I am looking for help on an effect (or maybe it's two effects)
>
> 1. I want to create a 3D image which looks like transparencies stacked one
> on top of the other. Each transparencey will have an image or text on it
> (via image_map I think).   I can use Box{} to simulate the sheet with
> dimensions of the sheet and z dimension being thickness (i.e. a very thin
> box).  If I put several on top of each other will I need to increase the
> maxtrace value?

If you use boxes, the rays will cross 2 surfaces per box. Why not use planes
or pairs of triangles (if you want edges) which have no thickness at all
beeing single face objects? You certainly will need to increase
max_trace_level which default value is5.

> 2. Is it possible to determine where on the Box{} the image is placed?

You can apply transformations to you pigment.
Here is an exemple of texture :

   texture
   {
      pigment
      {
         image_map
         {
            jpeg   "You_image.jpg"
            once // image displayed only once, no tiling!
            filter all 1.0 // filter transparency  as coloured filter , you
can use transmit as well (or any mixed amount of both) as a thin fabric
behaves with light
         }
         translate    <-0.2, -0.5, 0.0>  // here a translation but you can
scale and rotate as usual
      }
      finish
      {
         ambient 0.0
         diffuse 0.8 // diffuse value higher than 0.6 default value to keep
a contrasted image
      }
   }

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: blooflame
Date: 3 May 2007 21:55:02
Message: <web.463a916db7cab9247a9334df0@news.povray.org>
"Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

> web.4638100b40b8ee6c7a9334df0@news.povray.org...
> >I am looking for help on an effect (or maybe it's two effects)
> >
> > 1. I want to create a 3D image which looks like transparencies stacked one
> > on top of the other. Each transparencey will have an image or text on it
> > (via image_map I think).   I can use Box{} to simulate the sheet with
> > dimensions of the sheet and z dimension being thickness (i.e. a very thin
> > box).  If I put several on top of each other will I need to increase the
> > maxtrace value?
>
> If you use boxes, the rays will cross 2 surfaces per box. Why not use planes
> or pairs of triangles (if you want edges) which have no thickness at all
> beeing single face objects? You certainly will need to increase
> max_trace_level which default value is5.
>

> > 2. Is it possible to determine where on the Box{} the image is placed?
> >
> You can apply transformations to you pigment.
> Here is an exemple of texture :
>
>    texture
>    {
>       pigment
>       {
>          image_map
>          {
>             jpeg   "You_image.jpg"
>             once // image displayed only once, no tiling!
>             filter all 1.0 // filter transparency  as coloured filter , you
> can use transmit as well (or any mixed amount of both) as a thin fabric
> behaves with light
>          }
>          translate    <-0.2, -0.5, 0.0>  // here a translation but you can
> scale and rotate as usual
>       }
>       finish
>       {
>          ambient 0.0
>          diffuse 0.8 // diffuse value higher than 0.6 default value to keep
> a contrasted image
>       }
>    }
>

> Marc

A) I would have thought the translate operation needed to be within the
brackets for the image_map? (I am not unfamiliar with programming, just
POV-Ray). As written it seems to translate the pigment as opposed to the
image.

B) Won't the image fill the entire plane? Sometimes I want the image to be
only a small part of the "transparency"

But, thanks for the tips - I will try to use some of them and see what
results I get.

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc
Date: 4 May 2007 02:51:49
Message: <463ad805@news.povray.org>

web.463a916db7cab9247a9334df0@news.povray.org...

> A) I would have thought the translate operation needed to be within the
> brackets for the image_map? (I am not unfamiliar with programming, just
> POV-Ray). As written it seems to translate the pigment as opposed to the
> image.

Yes transformations are applied to the pigment. Is it a problem?

> B) Won't the image fill the entire plane? Sometimes I want the image to be
> only a small part of the "transparency"

If you use the keyword "once", the image_map fills a <0,0,-infinite> to
<1,1,infinite> square section  before transformations. what you see (what
POVRay traces) is the intersection of the plane with this infinitely thick
square.
If you don't use "once", the map is tiled edge to edge in both x and y
directions

> But, thanks for the tips - I will try to use some of them and see what
> results I get.

That's the best way :-)

Marc