POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rotative illumination Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:28 EDT (-0400)
  rotative illumination (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: pierre
Subject: rotative illumination
Date: 25 Sep 2006 07:40:00
Message: <web.4517bf9d9d0b62baad334ed60@news.povray.org>
Hello everybody,

I am trying to implement a scene in povray. I want to create an animation
where the illumination move around the scene (like the sun during day
time).
I have two major problems:
-I do not understand the coordonate system in povray: my object is a plate
with a size of dx dy dz (2000 2000 40). I want fisrt to rotate around the
center (2000 2000 20) following a perfect circle with a diameter of 2000.
My camera is situated in (<1000, 1939, 348>. My goal is to move the
illumination in the same plane than the camera. I tried with the functions
v-rotate and clock but it doesn't seem to work.

-My second point, is about an elliptic path of the illumination. Is it
possible to program such a path?

Thanks by advance

Pierre

Post a reply to this message

"pierre" <pie### [at] efpginpgfr> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am trying to implement a scene in povray. I want to create an animation
> where the illumination move around the scene (like the sun during day
> time).
> I have two major problems:
> -I do not understand the coordonate system in povray: my object is a plate
> with a size of dx dy dz (2000 2000 40). I want fisrt to rotate around the
> center (2000 2000 20) following a perfect circle with a diameter of 2000.
> My camera is situated in (<1000, 1939, 348>. My goal is to move the
> illumination in the same plane than the camera. I tried with the functions
> v-rotate and clock but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> -My second point, is about an elliptic path of the illumination. Is it
> possible to program such a path?

Hi Pierre,
In Pov-Ray the Z-axis is up-down so your plate should be dx dy dz (2000 40
2000).
As for rotating an object all rotations are about the origin. So to start
off I suggest you create your plate and your light source at the origin
then translate the light source to the required distance and rotate it
about your plate.
Later when you get what you want, you can move your plate and light to their
proper positions. Translate the light to the origin plus the offset from
the plate, rotate it then move it back. Sounds complicated I know but when

Even later you can use v-rotate, believe me it does work.
As for an elliptical path it is possible but it depends on your maths.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message