POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texturing landscapes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:50 EDT (-0400)
  Texturing landscapes (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Kjetil
Subject: Texturing landscapes
Date: 12 Mar 2006 12:10:01
Message: <web.441455ba603a88ba1b09fc810@news.povray.org>
Hi there.

I am trying to create an image with an (ant)arctic-looking landscape - much
like Christoph Hormann's image here:
http://www.imagico.de/pov/pict/frozen_island.jpg.

However, I just cannot work out how to get the texturing right.

My height field is created using a "f_ridged_mf" function, and I have tried
using a texture consisting of a slope texture map of snow and rock. The
effect is far from what I am after -

The main problem appears to be that the "slope" keyword is too "dependent"
on altitude. Whereas Christoph's image above has snow / rock together at a
range of altitudes, I get a very clear "cutoff point" with snow below and
rock below.

If anyone have any pointers to this, or know of any tutorials on how to
texture landscapes in general, I am very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Post a reply to this message

> I am trying to create an image with an (ant)arctic-looking landscape - much
> like Christoph Hormann's image here:
> http://www.imagico.de/pov/pict/frozen_island.jpg.
>
> However, I just cannot work out how to get the texturing right.
>
> My height field is created using a "f_ridged_mf" function, and I have tried
> using a texture consisting of a slope texture map of snow and rock. The
> effect is far from what I am after -
>
> The main problem appears to be that the "slope" keyword is too "dependent"
> on altitude. Whereas Christoph's image above has snow / rock together at a
> range of altitudes, I get a very clear "cutoff point" with snow below and
> rock below.
>
> If anyone have any pointers to this, or know of any tutorials on how to
> texture landscapes in general, I am very grateful.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I usually pre-define substrate textures using a gradient y for altitude
dependent features, then combine those into a new texture using slope to
determine which are visible,  i.e.;  (sorry, not on my machine so don't
have any available at the moment, so pure pseudo-code here...)

T_Snow {
   gradient y
   map
     [LOW   wet_mud ]
     [MID   patchy_drifts ]
     [HIGH  packed_powder ]
}
T_Rock {
   gradient y
   map
     [LOW   gravel ]
     [MID   mixed_scree ]
     [HIGH  hard_stone ]
}

T_Rocky_Snow
   slope y
   map
     [STEEP  T_Rock ]
     [FLAT   T_Snow ]
}

That way both the snow and rock will change with slope and altitude.
Just remember that your y scale must always be the same as the
height_field so the gradient y doesn't tile itself. I usually apply the
texture to the height_filed before scaling so they always stay the same.

RG

Post a reply to this message