POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Elliptical Torus Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Elliptical Torus (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: tgl
Subject: Elliptical Torus
Date: 28 Feb 2006 19:45:00
Message: <web.4404ee5087a86c85c61d550e0@news.povray.org>
Hello All
Is it possible to create an elliptical torus with a varying major diameter
and a constant minor diameter?
  Thanx,
  tgl

Post a reply to this message

From: Roman Reiner
Subject: Re: Elliptical Torus
Date: 1 Mar 2006 06:30:00
Message: <web.4405855061f3c539f37ab23e0@news.povray.org>
"tgl" <aub### [at] sympaticoca> wrote:
> Hello All
> Is it possible to create an elliptical torus with a varying major diameter
> and a constant minor diameter?
>   Thanx,
>   tgl

it should be possible with isosurfaces. see e.g.
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/variable.htm
Another possibility would be to approximate the surface with a spheresweep,
see 2.4.1.10 Sphere Sweep
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/284/

Regards Roman

Post a reply to this message

 "Roman Reiner" <lim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> "tgl" <aub### [at] sympaticoca> wrote:
> > Hello All
> > Is it possible to create an elliptical torus with a varying major diameter
> > and a constant minor diameter?
> >   Thanx,
> >   tgl
>
> it should be possible with isosurfaces. see e.g.
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/variable.htm
> Another possibility would be to approximate the surface with a spheresweep,
> see 2.4.1.10 Sphere Sweep
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/284/
>
> Regards Roman

as roman say, i think using sphere sweep is a right solution. computing
points of an ellipse is easy.

--
klp

Post a reply to this message

> Is it possible to create an elliptical torus with a varying major diameter
> and a constant minor diameter?
>   Thanx,
>   tgl

or approximate it by connecting spheres and cylinders. May render faster?