POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Import Graphics. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Import Graphics. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Dakie
Subject: Import Graphics.
Date: 23 Jun 2005 05:45:00
Message: <web.42ba841ca4e9614f343c77820@news.povray.org>
Ok, I am a new user.

Worked a while with other 'landscape' designed cad programs. These were
developed specially for landscape and architecture. They all have a library
with presets of plants and objects. Now i wondered if it was possible that
I import all these objects within povray? I suppose that would make the job
a lot more easy.

Or is there a library for povray? What I need are plants, flowers, trees,...
All kinds of natural things. If possible also the main architecture for a
simple house. Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is a totally irrelevant question, but before I start learning
this program, I want to be aware of the possibilities.

Post a reply to this message

>Worked a while with other 'landscape' designed cad programs. These were
>developed specially for landscape and architecture. They all have a library
>with presets of plants and objects. Now i wondered if it was possible that
>I import all these objects within povray? I suppose that would make the job
>a lot more easy.
>
>Or is there a library for povray? What I need are plants, flowers, trees,...
>All kinds of natural things. If possible also the main architecture for a
>simple house. Any suggestions?
>
>Sorry if this is a totally irrelevant question, but before I start learning
>this program, I want to be aware of the possibilities.

Look to see what file format your existing programs can use to output the
files you want to use. You'll then need to use a conversion utility to
convert the data to POV format (if they don't support POV format directly,
many 3D programs do). If they use OBJ, 3DS, LWO, DXF or WRL, I'd recommend
PoseRay.
I see you use a Mac, so you'd need a Windows emulator. PoseRay is reported
to run under Blue Label and VirtualPC.
<http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/>

If your existing programs only export to obscure proprietary file formats,
or you can't run PoseRay on your system, look through the official POV
file conversion utilities page for something that converts that file
format to POV format:
<http://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/>

Rather than looking for a POV-specific object library, you'll probably get
better results performing a web search for suitable 3d models in any
format and then converting them as above. Try looking at the links from
this page <http://www.amazing3d.com/modfree.html> and see if there are any
3d libraries that you particularly like.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message