POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POVRAY Modelers for newbie Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:38 EDT (-0400)
  POVRAY Modelers for newbie (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Mark E  Deardorff
Subject: POVRAY Modelers for newbie
Date: 17 Jun 2005 16:44:58
Message: <42b3364a@news.povray.org>
Are there any good modelers for new users?

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: POVRAY Modelers for newbie
Date: 18 Jun 2005 00:09:19
Message: <42b39e6f@news.povray.org>
Mark E. Deardorff <med### [at] coxnet> wrote:
> Are there any good modelers for new users?

  Yes. Google for moray.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 18 Jun 2005 07:53:26
Message: <42b40b36$1@news.povray.org>

> Mark E. Deardorff <med### [at] coxnet> wrote:
> > Are there any good modelers for new users?
>
>   Yes. Google for moray.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I agree!  :-)
Note : what follows is NOT an advertisement lol
Note again : Moray is a shareware : you may try it free but you are friendly
invited to register it after some times (it is worth the EUR 80)
http://www.stmuc.com/moray/
I 'm using Moray for some years now and I think it is a new-user-friendly
yet powerfull tool.
Since I know this soft, none of my images was done without Moray
For new users :
You can design POV simple (spheres, cones, boxes, torus, etc) or complex
(prism, lathe, bicubic patch, superellipsoid) primitives and CSG simply by
mouse and/or parameter fields
A cool material editor allows you to use yet done or create nice materials
and preview them
A render settings tab takes you by the hand through anti-alias, image
resolution,...
AND for advanced users :
Some plugins allow script (SDL or Scene Description Language, ie the
language POVRay understands) coding (this plugin allows you to write POV
(SDL) code in a Moray scene)
http://www.lightning-generator.org/download.php?op=getit&lid=122
 or easy includes use with transformations.
http://www.wikipov.org/ow.asp?PovInclude
quote: "POVInclude is a Moray plugin that allows a POV-Ray include file to
be directly included in a Moray model. A visual indication of where the
included objects will appear can be supplied which shows in the Moray
views."

Remember though POV is left handed (y up, z depth) while Moray is right
handed (z up, y depth) but -Moray export pov file- copes with that with a
special camera declaration ( which demonstrates once again SDL power :)
BTW, learning SDL is a plus: you'd skip a very powerful tool if you forget
it.
Regards
Marc

Post a reply to this message

> Mark E. Deardorff <med### [at] coxnet> wrote:
>
>>Are there any good modelers for new users?
>

>   Yes. Google for moray.

or Google for "modelers povray"...

Post a reply to this message