POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lighting question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Lighting question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mienai
Subject: Lighting question
Date: 12 Apr 2005 04:10:00
Message: <web.425b82292c3b529f51a594900@news.povray.org>
So I'd expect in a scene with no lights and no ambient values I'd get a pure
black render, but I can see my objects.  What am I missing?  The scene is
just a blue sphere and nothing else.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Re: Lighting question
Date: 12 Apr 2005 04:33:21
Message: <425b87d1@news.povray.org>
> So I'd expect in a scene with no lights and no ambient values I'd get a
pure
> black render, but I can see my objects.  What am I missing?  The scene is
> just a blue sphere and nothing else.

Have you set "ambient_light" in global_settings to 0? And did you set the
ambient in the finish of the objects to 0? If both are the case, then you
should get a pure black image, unless you're using some emitting media.
Otherwise, the ambient-term will take care that an object is never 100%
black (unless the texture is black itself).

You might want to look up "ambient" and "ambient_light" in the docs.

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"