POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is it possible to render a model instead of an image? (Per-vertex coloring) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Is it possible to render a model instead of an image? (Per-vertex coloring) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: beason at cs fsu edu
Subject: Is it possible to render a model instead of an image? (Per-vertex coloring)
Date: 10 Mar 2005 21:55:01
Message: <web.4231085c7311ccbdd9039e4e0@news.povray.org>
Is it possible to render a MODEL instead of an IMAGE?
(Is it possible to store rendered colors with a mesh?)

In my ray tracer it's possible to sample the radiance on each triangle in a
mesh and store the (averaged) colors per-vertex in the mesh. When viewing
the mesh you then see the ray traced colors with per-vertex coloring.
(Since diffuse refelection is view-independant this works very well if the
mesh uses a diffuse BRDF.)

Is it possible to do this with POVRay? Sorry, but I am new to POVRay.

Thanks for any tips!
Kevin

Post a reply to this message

> Is it possible to render a MODEL instead of an IMAGE?
> (Is it possible to store rendered colors with a mesh?)
>
> In my ray tracer it's possible to sample the radiance on each triangle in a
> mesh and store the (averaged) colors per-vertex in the mesh. When viewing
> the mesh you then see the ray traced colors with per-vertex coloring.
> (Since diffuse refelection is view-independant this works very well if the
> mesh uses a diffuse BRDF.)
>
> Is it possible to do this with POVRay? Sorry, but I am new to POVRay.
>
> Thanks for any tips!
> Kevin

No. POV Ray don't une mesks for most objects. Exeptions are mesh, mesh2 and bicubic
patches objects.
Everything else are methematical resolutions of basic and user defined shapes. That's
also the
reason that you can't export POV Ray files to other rendreers.

Alain