POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Combining normals Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Combining normals (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Fergus Murray
Subject: Combining normals
Date: 9 Mar 2005 08:55:00
Message: <web.422f0023eff99782db402c900@news.povray.org>
Hi,

 I'm not really a new user as such, but I feel like maybe this is a stupid
question so I'm asking here anyway.

 I'm trying to combine two patterns of normals (bozo and wood, as it
happens, but it doesn't seem to make a difference), and rather than giving
me a combination of the two Pov-Ray (3.6) seems to be completely ignoring
the first, except that any scale included is applied to the second. Is
this, um, normal? And is there any way to get around it? It doesn't seem to
be the behaviour described by the documentation...

For what it's worth, what I've got (inside a texture statement) looks like
this:

normal { bozo 0.5 }
normal { wood 0.6 scale 0.4 }

I've got something like the effect I was looking for using turbulence, but
it'd be nice to be able to combine normals, just on principle...

Any ideas?

Thanks

 - Fergus C. Murray
http://www.oolong.co.uk

Post a reply to this message

Il est possible que "Fergus Murray" <pov### [at] oolongcouk> exprima :

> Hi,
>
>  I'm not really a new user as such, but I feel like maybe this is a
>  stupid
> question so I'm asking here anyway.
>
>  I'm trying to combine two patterns of normals (bozo and wood, as it
> happens, but it doesn't seem to make a difference), and rather than
> giving me a combination of the two Pov-Ray (3.6) seems to be
> completely ignoring the first, except that any scale included is
> applied to the second. Is this, um, normal? And is there any way to
> get around it? It doesn't seem to be the behaviour described by the
> documentation...
>
> For what it's worth, what I've got (inside a texture statement) looks
> like this:
>
> normal { bozo 0.5 }
> normal { wood 0.6 scale 0.4 }
>
> I've got something like the effect I was looking for using turbulence,
> but it'd be nice to be able to combine normals, just on principle...
>
> Any ideas?
Yes.
You are currently layering the normal... in effect only the last get the
effect, erasing partially the previous one. So, everything is ok...

You might take some interest in some 'pattern' called 'average'.
I let you explore the section 3.5.11.2 of the Pov-Help (for windows
users).
Have a nice reading.

--
This is an unauthorised cybernetic announcement.

When someone says "I want a programming language in which I need only
say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.

Post a reply to this message