POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : *repeated* texture map (image or checkerboard) on cylinder? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  *repeated* texture map (image or checkerboard) on cylinder? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Richard
Subject: *repeated* texture map (image or checkerboard) on cylinder?
Date: 17 Dec 2003 02:30:03
Message: <web.3fe005085d1e37f15541bd820@news.povray.org>
I want to map a pattern, either a checkerboard texture, or an input image,
onto a cylinder.  What I want to do is take a square image and repeatedly
"paint" or "tile" it on the cylinder.

I've tried this:

cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
  texture {
    pigment {
      image_map { gif "myimage.gif" map_type 2 interpolate 2 }
    }
  }
}

but how do I make the aspect ratio so that a 1x1 patch on the surface of
the cylinder gets the image I input?

Also, can I make default textures, like "checker" paint in the same way?

Thanks for any help,
  Richard

Post a reply to this message

>I want to map a pattern, either a checkerboard texture, or an input image,
>onto a cylinder.  What I want to do is take a square image and repeatedly
>"paint" or "tile" it on the cylinder.
>
>I've tried this:
>
>cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
>  texture {
>    pigment {
>      image_map { gif "myimage.gif" map_type 2 interpolate 2 }
>    }
>  }
>}
>
>but how do I make the aspect ratio so that a 1x1 patch on the surface of
>the cylinder gets the image I input?

In the case of a cylinder, you can use uv_mapping

cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
  uv_mapping
  texture {
    pigment {
      image_map {
        gif "myimage.gif"
        interpolate 2
      }
    }
  }
}

>Also, can I make default textures, like "checker" paint in the same way?

And uv_mapping also works for any texture

cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
  uv_mapping
  pigment {
    checker scale 0.5
  }
}

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>>I want to map a pattern, either a checkerboard texture, or an input image,
>>onto a cylinder.  What I want to do is take a square image and repeatedly
>>"paint" or "tile" it on the cylinder.
>>
>>I've tried this:
>>
>>cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
>>  texture {
>>    pigment {
>>      image_map { gif "myimage.gif" map_type 2 interpolate 2 }
>>    }
>>  }
>>}
>>
>>but how do I make the aspect ratio so that a 1x1 patch on the surface of
>>the cylinder gets the image I input?
>
>In the case of a cylinder, you can use uv_mapping
>
>cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
>  uv_mapping
>  texture {
>    pigment {
>      image_map {
>        gif "myimage.gif"
>        interpolate 2
>      }
>    }
>  }
>}
>

>>Also, can I make default textures, like "checker" paint in the same way?
>
>And uv_mapping also works for any texture
>
>cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
>  uv_mapping
>  pigment {
>    checker scale 0.5
>  }
>}
>
>Mike Williams
>Gentleman of Leisure

Thanks for the suggestion.  But uv_mapping doesn't seem to work for
cylinders!
Here is the closest I could get, using "lathe" objects:

lathe {
  linear_spline
  2, <3, 0>, <3, 5>    // radius 3, height 5
  uv_mapping
  texture {
    pigment {
      image_map {
        gif "myimage.gif"
        interpolate 2
      }
    }
    finish { ambient 1.0 }
    scale <0.50, 1.0>  // make texture map isotropic on surface
                       // needed because both inside and outside of cylinder
                       // are painted
  }
}

I tried a "sor" object, but couldn't get it to work.  I don't understand
what the first and last values do in the sor.  Does anyone know how to
draw a cylinder, without end covers?

Thanks again,
  Richard

Post a reply to this message

>Thanks for the suggestion.  But uv_mapping doesn't seem to work for
>cylinders!

It works for me.

#declare SCALE=<3,2.5,3>;

cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
  open
  uv_mapping
  texture {
    pigment {
      image_map {
        gif "myimage.gif"
        interpolate 2
      }
    }
    finish { ambient 1.0 }
    scale SCALE*2  // make texture map isotropic on surface
                   // needed because both inside and outside of cylinder
                   // are painted
  }
  scale SCALE // radius 3, height 5
  translate  <6,2.5,0>
}

>I tried a "sor" object, but couldn't get it to work.  I don't understand
>what the first and last values do in the sor.  Does anyone know how to
>draw a cylinder, without end covers?

The start and end points of a SOR are a bit like the extra points you
need for a cubic_spline. I don't think that it's documented what sort of
spline is actually used for generating a SOR, but it's definitely not a
linear spline. To create the appearance of a linear spline with a SOR,
you can simply double up the end points.

To remove the end covers, use the "open" keyword, just like with
"cylinder".

sor {
  4, <3, 0>,<3, 0>,<3, 5>,<3, 5> open   // radius 3, height 5
  uv_mapping
  texture {
    pigment {
      image_map {
        gif "myimage.gif"
        interpolate 2
      }
    }

Date: 18 Dec 2003 06:12:46
Message: <3fe18bae@news.povray.org>
// Hi Richard,
//
// here is a complete scene showing a scalable
// cylindrical map using a warp.
//
//   Sputnik

// -F +A0.1 +AM2 +R2 +W512 +H384

#declare High   = 5;   // number of stacked images
#declare Around =10;   // number of images around a circumference

#declare Width  = 0.4; // width of a single image-patch
#declare Height = 0.3; // height of a single image-patch

#declare MyRadius = 0.4; // (see below)

#declare Radius = Around*Width/2/pi; // calculate Radius from circumference
#declare Length = High*Height; // calculate Length

cylinder { 0, Length*y, Radius
  pigment {
    image_map {
      png "C:\Programs\POV-Ray for Windows v3.5\include\bumpmap_.png"
      //once // only 1 image with lower left corner at Radius*x
      map_type 0 // planar map!; wrapping is done by warp
      interpolate 2
      }
    // checker {...} instead of image_map {...} works too
    // put Around X High images onto 1 X Length
    scale <1/Around, Height, 1>
    warp {
      // wrap around a cylinder: 1 X Length -> circumference X Length
      cylindrical
      // look onto the image's xy-plane
      orientation z
      dist_exp 0
      }
    }
  finish { ambient 1 }
  //scale MyRadius/Radius // makes a cylinder with radius=MyRadius (and
                          // proportionally corrected length)
  }

// never without checkered plane and sphere ...
plane { y, -0.01 pigment { checker } finish { ambient 1 } }
sphere { Radius*x, Radius/10
  pigment { color red 2 }
  finish { ambient 1 }
  //scale MyRadius/Radius // corresponds to the cylinder's scale
  }

camera { location 0.4*<2, 3, -4> look_at 0 translate Length/2*y }

Post a reply to this message

>>Thanks for the suggestion.  But uv_mapping doesn't seem to work for
>>cylinders!
>
>It works for me.
>
>#declare SCALE=<3,2.5,3>;
>
>cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0 1 0>, 1
>  open
>  uv_mapping
>  texture {
>    pigment {
>      image_map {
>        gif "myimage.gif"
>        interpolate 2
>      }
>    }
>    finish { ambient 1.0 }
>    scale SCALE*2  // make texture map isotropic on surface
>                   // needed because both inside and outside of cylinder
>                   // are painted
>  }
>  scale SCALE // radius 3, height 5
>  translate  <6,2.5,0>
>}
>
>>I tried a "sor" object, but couldn't get it to work.  I don't understand
>>what the first and last values do in the sor.  Does anyone know how to
>>draw a cylinder, without end covers?
>
>The start and end points of a SOR are a bit like the extra points you
>need for a cubic_spline. I don't think that it's documented what sort of
>spline is actually used for generating a SOR, but it's definitely not a
>linear spline. To create the appearance of a linear spline with a SOR,
>you can simply double up the end points.
>
>To remove the end covers, use the "open" keyword, just like with
>"cylinder".
>
>sor {
>  4, <3, 0>,<3, 0>,<3, 5>,<3, 5> open   // radius 3, height 5
>  uv_mapping
>  texture {
>    pigment {
>      image_map {
>        gif "myimage.gif"
>        interpolate 2
>      }
>    }
>    finish { ambient 1.0 }
>    scale <0.50, 1.0>  // make texture map isotropic on surface
>                  // needed because both inside and outside of cylinder
>                  // are painted
>  }
>}
>
>Mike Williams
>Gentleman of Leisure

Thanks for all the help (to Mike and others).

Here is an image, but it doesn't map checkers _uniformly_ over the surface
of
the cylinder.  Is this a problem with my version (3.5)?

// BEGIN
camera {
  angle 60
  location <20 20 -10>
  look_at <0, 0, 0>
}

cylinder { <0, -5, 0>, <0 5 0>, 3
  open
  uv_mapping
  pigment {
    checker scale 0.5
  }
  finish { ambient 1.0 }
}
// END

Otherwise I'll use "sor" or "lathe", or the "warp" function the other
poster suggested.

Thanks,
  Richard

Date: 19 Dec 2003 20:28:15
Message: <3fe3a5af$1@news.povray.org>
//  Hi Richard,
//
//  rereading the doc (6.7.7 UV Mapping; 6.7.7.1 Supported Objects) I
//  realized that cylinders don't have an uv-mapping adapted to them.
//  POV-Ray doesn't complain -- planar mapping (using the xy-plane at
//  z=0, projected along the z-axis) seems to be used instead. So warp
//  probably is the best method (or make a cylinder with lathe or sor).
//
//  Below you will again find a little scene, this time without cylinder
//  caps and with an interior texture added (partially transparent: sort
//  of one-way transparency!).
//  Because the backslash has a special meaning inside strings, it has
//  to be denoted by "\\" -- I've corrected this in the string which
//  describes the path to the images.
//
//     Sputnik
//
//
//  P.S. POV-Ray doesn't recognize your intended camera location
//       <20 20 -10>, this is read as <20 20-10>, giving <20, 10>
//       which is expanded to <20, 10, 0>.
//       See 6.1.4.1 Vector Literals and 6.1.4.4 Operator Promotion.

// -F +A0.1 +AM2 +R2 +W512 +H384

#declare PicPath = "C:\\Programs\\POV-Ray for Windows v3.5\\include\\"
#declare OuterPic = "bumpmap_.png"
#declare InnerPic = "povmap.png"

#declare High   = 5;   // number of stacked images
#declare Around =10;   // number of images around a circumference

#declare Width  = 0.4; // width of a single image-patch
#declare Height = 0.3; // height of a single image-patch

#declare MyRadius = 0.4; // (see below)

#declare Radius = Around*Width/2/pi; // calculate Radius from circumference
#declare Length = High*Height; // calculate Length

cylinder { 0, Length*y, Radius open

  pigment {
    image_map {
      png OuterPic
      //once // only 1 image with lower left corner at Radius*x
      map_type 0 // planar map!; wrapping is done by warp
      interpolate 2
      }
    // checker {...} instead of image_map {...} works too
    // put Around X High images onto 1 X Length
    scale <1/Around, Height, 1>
    warp {
      // wrap around a cylinder: 1 X Length -> circumference X Length
      cylindrical
      // look onto the image's xy-plane
      orientation z
      dist_exp 0
      }
    }
  finish { ambient 1 }

  interior_texture {
    pigment {
      image_map { png InnerPic map_type 0 interpolate 2 }
      scale <-1/Around, Height, 1> // "-" gives mirror image
      translate x // this puts the mirror image back to <0,0>, <1,1>
      warp { cylindrical orientation z dist_exp 0 }
      }
    finish { ambient 1 }
    }

  //scale MyRadius/Radius // makes a cylinder with radius=MyRadius (and
                          // proportionally corrected length)
  }

// never without checkered plane and sphere ...
plane { y, -0.01 pigment { checker } finish { ambient 1 } }
sphere { Radius*x, Radius/10
  pigment { color red 2 }
  finish { ambient 1 }
  //scale MyRadius/Radius // corresponds to the cylinder's scale
  }

camera { location 0.4*<2, 3, -4> look_at 0 translate Length/2*y }

//  END  //