POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing? (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: GreyBeard
Subject: Re: What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing?
Date: 22 Nov 2003 13:02:03
Message: <3fbfa49b$1@news.povray.org>
"incognito" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.3fbed40a3a0ec7876d556f1d0@news.povray.org...

> I am confused by what you mean by the POV-ray manual. Is that help on the
> GUI (in the beginning tutorial section)? I have seen this, however, I am
> looking for a book (since that will show diagrams of the shapes) esp for
> the ones I am not familiar with (spline based and polygon based). No, I
> don't have specific problems and this is not an immediate need either.
> Actually, the Web site given earlier by greybeard has been helpful too.

Earlier verrsions of POVwin had the manual in a printable format, which I
consider to be several parsecs ahead of html or worse .pdf.  I've printed
out the 3.1 manual and it resides on a music stand next to the computer.
Not everything translates to ver.3.5, but enough that it's still helpful.
Finding an older version and printing out the manual might be helpful,
remembering that there are changes from version to version.

I have an older book, "Ray Tracing Creations" (Chris Young and Drew Wells)
published by the Waite Group Press, includes POV 2.2.  Doubt that it's
available anymore, but this one came from the second hand stores.
(Paperback, think I paid twenty five cents for it, with floppy.)  A lot of
the files posted on the povray groups can be helpful, as well as what's
available from personal websites.  I'm no math whiz, and not having to
reinvent the wheel helps.  I could be wrong, but it seems like 98% of what
anyone would want to do has already been done, and the code posted
somewhere.

GreyBeard

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 22 Nov 2003 14:14:49
Message: <Xns943B90E319381tomatimporg@204.213.191.226>
"GreyBeard" <r.b### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote in

> I have an older book, "Ray Tracing Creations" (Chris Young and Drew
> Wells) published by the Waite Group Press, includes POV 2.2.  Doubt
> that it's available anymore,

Amazon.com has used copies of it listed along with the other POV-Ray books.
Just search "POV-Ray"

--
Tom
_________________________________

Post a reply to this message

From: GreyBeard
Date: 22 Nov 2003 16:39:44
Message: <3fbfd7a0$1@news.povray.org>
Hmmm.  Wuz pointing out that sometimes a browsing trip through the junk
stores will come up with a real jem that you wouldn't expect to find.  Often
enough to make it worthwhile doing.

> > I have an older book, "Ray Tracing Creations" (Chris Young and Drew
> > Wells) published by the Waite Group Press, includes POV 2.2.  Doubt
> > that it's available anymore,
> >

> Amazon.com has used copies of it listed along with the other POV-Ray
books.
> Just search "POV-Ray"

Post a reply to this message

From: incognito
Date: 22 Nov 2003 17:45:01
Message: <web.3fbfe6023a0ec787e3b987730@news.povray.org>
Tom Galvin wrote:
>"incognito" <nomail[at]nomail> wrote in
>
>> I am confused by what you mean by the POV-ray manual. Is that help on
>> the GUI
>
>Yes
>

>> I am looking for a book (since that will show diagrams of the
>> shapes)
>
>That is in there too, complete with diagrams for many shapes.
>
>http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/165/

Yes, this is the regularized, black and white type of diagrams I was looking
for. Thanks very very much.