POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Aligned box? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  Aligned box? (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Tyler Eaves
Subject: Aligned box?
Date: 7 Sep 2005 14:25:15
Message: <op.swqv57j705glvk@localhost.localdomain>
I'm looking for some way to specify a box at an angle. The way I see it, a
box could be specified by giving 2 points, which would be the center of
two oppisite faces, and would define one dimesion, call it length, and
then giving the length of the width and height. This would be roughly
comprable to the way a cylinder is specified. I can't seem to think of any
obvious way to do this (3d math is not a strength of mine...)

>I'm looking for some way to specify a box at an angle. The way I see it, a
>box could be specified by giving 2 points, which would be the center of
>two oppisite faces, and would define one dimesion, call it length, and
>then giving the length of the width and height. This would be roughly
>comprable to the way a cylinder is specified. I can't seem to think of any
>obvious way to do this (3d math is not a strength of mine...)

The first thing that springs to mind is to write a macro like this:

#include "transforms.inc"
#macro aligned_box(P1, P2, H, W)
  #local L = abs(vlength(P2-P1));
  box {<0,-H/2,-W/2><L,H/2,W/2>
    transform {Reorient_Trans(x,P2-P1)}
    translate P1
  }
#end

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:58:11 -0400, Mike Williams
<nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:

> Wasn't it Tyler Eaves who wrote:
>> I'm looking for some way to specify a box at an angle. The way I see
>> it, a
>> box could be specified by giving 2 points, which would be the center of
>> two oppisite faces, and would define one dimesion, call it length, and
>> then giving the length of the width and height. This would be roughly
>> comprable to the way a cylinder is specified. I can't seem to think of
>> any
>> obvious way to do this (3d math is not a strength of mine...)
>
> The first thing that springs to mind is to write a macro like this:
>
> #include "transforms.inc"
> #macro aligned_box(P1, P2, H, W)
>   #local L = abs(vlength(P2-P1));
>   box {<0,-H/2,-W/2><L,H/2,W/2>
>     transform {Reorient_Trans(x,P2-P1)}
>     translate P1
>   }
> #end

That comes VERY close. Actually, it works as I requested, although missing
an implied criteria. I didn't specify it, but I need the box to maintain a
vertical orientation, whereas your macro induces a rotation around the
P1-P2 axis. I'm guessing this is an artifact of the Reorient_Trans

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:58:11 -0400, Mike Williams
> <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:

>> #include "transforms.inc"
>> #macro aligned_box(P1, P2, H, W)
>>   #local L = abs(vlength(P2-P1));
>>   box {<0,-H/2,-W/2><L,H/2,W/2>
>>     transform {Reorient_Trans(x,P2-P1)}
>>     translate P1
>>   }
>> #end
>>

> That comes VERY close. Actually, it works as I requested, although
> missing  an implied criteria. I didn't specify it, but I need the box to
> maintain a  vertical orientation, whereas your macro induces a rotation
> around the  P1-P2 axis. I'm guessing this is an artifact of the
> Reorient_Trans

I'm assuming you're generating P1 & P2 somewhere else?  I believe you
either have to ensure both y points are the same before passing them to
the macro or else remove them in the macro.  Does this work?

#include "transforms.inc"
#macro aligned_box(P1, P2, H, W)
	#local L = abs(vlength(P2-P1));
	#local FP1 = <P1.x, 0, P1.z>;
	#local FP2 = <P2.x, 0, P2.z>;
	box {<0,-H/2,-W/2><L,H/2,W/2>
		transform {Reorient_Trans(x,FP2-FP1)}
		translate P1
	}

RG

Post a reply to this message

>>I'm looking for some way to specify a box at an angle. The way I see it, a
>>box could be specified by giving 2 points, which would be the center of
>>two oppisite faces, and would define one dimesion, call it length, and
>>then giving the length of the width and height. This would be roughly
>>comprable to the way a cylinder is specified. I can't seem to think of any
>>obvious way to do this (3d math is not a strength of mine...)
>

> The first thing that springs to mind is to write a macro like this:
>
> #include "transforms.inc"
> #macro aligned_box(P1, P2, H, W)
>   #local L = abs(vlength(P2-P1));
>   box {<0,-H/2,-W/2><L,H/2,W/2>
>     transform {Reorient_Trans(x,P2-P1)}
>     translate P1
>   }
> #end

Hey cool!  Thanks Mike, I was just trying to figure out how to make a
box that acted like a cylinder!

RG  -  I can't count the times I've had a question to ask here that I
never asked because someone had already posted the answer

Post a reply to this message

>On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:58:11 -0400, Mike Williams
><nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>
>> Wasn't it Tyler Eaves who wrote:
>>> I'm looking for some way to specify a box at an angle. The way I see
>>> it, a
>>> box could be specified by giving 2 points, which would be the center of
>>> two oppisite faces, and would define one dimesion, call it length, and
>>> then giving the length of the width and height. This would be roughly
>>> comprable to the way a cylinder is specified. I can't seem to think of
>>> any
>>> obvious way to do this (3d math is not a strength of mine...)
>>
>> The first thing that springs to mind is to write a macro like this:
>>
>> #include "transforms.inc"
>> #macro aligned_box(P1, P2, H, W)
>>   #local L = abs(vlength(P2-P1));
>>   box {<0,-H/2,-W/2><L,H/2,W/2>
>>     transform {Reorient_Trans(x,P2-P1)}
>>     translate P1
>>   }
>> #end
>>

>That comes VERY close. Actually, it works as I requested, although missing
>an implied criteria. I didn't specify it, but I need the box to maintain a
>vertical orientation, whereas your macro induces a rotation around the
>P1-P2 axis. I'm guessing this is an artifact of the Reorient_Trans

Point_At_Trans seems to produce boxes that are vertically aligned more
of the time, but I can't predict which of the directions is going to be
the height and which will be the width

#include "transforms.inc"
#macro aligned_box(P1, P2, H, W)
  #local L = abs(vlength(P2-P1));