POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : transmit question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  transmit question (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Kneb
Subject: transmit question
Date: 29 Jan 2004 21:24:01
Message: <4019c041@news.povray.org>
If I have declared an object earlier in a file, how can I change the
object's transparency when I'm using it in a pov scene?  For example:
#include "colors.inc"
global_settings{assumed_gamma 1.0}
camera{location <2,3,-7> look_at 0}
light_source{<10,20,-10> rgb 1 parallel point_at 0}
plane{y,-2 pigment{color Green}}
#declare SillyObject=union {
   box{<-2,-2,-.5>,<2,2,.5> pigment{color Blue}}
   box{<-.5,-2,-2>,<.5,2,2> pigment{color Blue}}
   cylinder{y*2,y*2.5,.25 pigment{color Red}}
}
object{SillyObject //transmit .5 <==this is what I've been trying to use
}

I would define a variable for SillyObject's pigment, except in real life
SillyObject is defined in an include file, and also its components are
different colors, so it isn't convenient to make its transparency dependent
on a variable.  Can I change aspects of its color in the scene without
having a variable to refer to the color?
Thanks,
Kneb

Post a reply to this message

> If I have declared an object earlier in a file, how can I change the
> object's transparency when I'm using it in a pov scene?  For example:
> #include "colors.inc"
> global_settings{assumed_gamma 1.0}
> camera{location <2,3,-7> look_at 0}
> light_source{<10,20,-10> rgb 1 parallel point_at 0}
> plane{y,-2 pigment{color Green}}
> #declare SillyObject=union {
>    box{<-2,-2,-.5>,<2,2,.5> pigment{color Blue}}
>    box{<-.5,-2,-2>,<.5,2,2> pigment{color Blue}}
>    cylinder{y*2,y*2.5,.25 pigment{color Red}}
> }
> object{SillyObject //transmit .5 <==this is what I've been trying to use
> }
>
> I would define a variable for SillyObject's pigment, except in real life
> SillyObject is defined in an include file, and also its components are
> different colors, so it isn't convenient to make its transparency
dependent
> on a variable.  Can I change aspects of its color in the scene without
> having a variable to refer to the color?
> Thanks,
> Kneb

-- in the include file :
#if undefined(SillyObjectTransmitValue)
    #declare SillyObjectTransmitValue  = 0.0;
#end

#declare SillyObject=union {
    box{<-2,-2,-.5>,<2,2,.5> pigment { color Blue transmit
SillyObjectTransmitValue }}
    box{<-.5,-2,-2>,<.5,2,2> pigment { color Blue  transmit
SillyObjectTransmitValue }}
    cylinder{y*2,y*2.5,.25 pigment { color Red transmit
SillyObjectTransmitValue }}
    }

-- in the main pov scene :
#declare SillyObjectTransmitValue = 0.6;
#include "theSillyObjectIncludeFile.inc"

hope that help !

Post a reply to this message