POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mesh2 with object pattern Server Time
30 Jun 2024 14:39:45 EDT (-0400)
  mesh2 with object pattern (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: mesh2 with object pattern
Date: 14 May 2011 14:51:28
Message: <4dcecf30@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to use a mesh2 with the object pattern and I keep getting the
error "Illegal texture of patch in clip, bound, or object pattern".  The
mesh is untextured, has an inside_vector defined, and works fine in CSG.
  The object pattern also works fine if I use another object (such as a
sphere) instead of a mesh.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  This is
POV-Ray 3.6 on Vista in case that matters.

Here's some example source code that should generate the error:

#declare TestMesh = mesh2 {
   vertex_vectors {
     8,
     <-1,-1,-1>,
     <-1,-1,1>,
     <-1,1,-1>,
     <-1,1,1>,
     <1,-1,-1>,
     <1,-1,1>,
     <1,1,-1>,
     <1,1,1>
   }
   face_indices {
     12,
     <0,1,2>, <1,2,3>,
     <4,5,6>, <5,6,7>,
     <0,1,4>, <1,4,5>,
     <2,3,6>, <3,6,7>,
     <0,2,4>, <2,4,6>,
     <1,3,5>, <3,5,7>
   }
   inside_vector x
}

// This gives an error
sphere {
   <0,0,0>, 1
   texture {
     object {
       object { TestMesh scale 0.5 translate <0,0,-1> }
       texture { pigment { color rgb 1 } }
       texture { pigment { color rgb <0,0,1> } }
     }
   }
}

Post a reply to this message

Am 14.05.2011 20:51, schrieb Kevin Wampler:
> I'm trying to use a mesh2 with the object pattern and I keep getting the
> error "Illegal texture of patch in clip, bound, or object pattern". The
> mesh is untextured, has an inside_vector defined, and works fine in CSG.
> The object pattern also works fine if I use another object (such as a
> sphere) instead of a mesh. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? This is
> POV-Ray 3.6 on Vista in case that matters.

You're not doing anything wrong - and yes, it does matter indeed. I can
confirm this as a bug in 3.62; seems ok with 3.7 release candidate.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 14.05.2011 20:51, schrieb Kevin Wampler:
>> I'm trying to use a mesh2 with the object pattern and I keep getting the
>> error "Illegal texture of patch in clip, bound, or object pattern". The
>> mesh is untextured, has an inside_vector defined, and works fine in CSG.
>> The object pattern also works fine if I use another object (such as a
>> sphere) instead of a mesh. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? This is
>> POV-Ray 3.6 on Vista in case that matters.
>
> You're not doing anything wrong - and yes, it does matter indeed. I can
> confirm this as a bug in 3.62; seems ok with 3.7 release candidate.

I upgraded to 3.7 RC3 and everything works now.  Thanks!