POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Very slow rendering of an object with many holes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:44 EDT (-0400)
  Very slow rendering of an object with many holes (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Tomohiro
Subject: Very slow rendering of an object with many holes
Date: 21 May 2009 12:50:01
Message: <web.4a1585be2b4d1dd4bbb61a180@news.povray.org>
Hello, I have another question.

My scene has a plate with many (about 1000) holes, like following:

difference{
  cylinder{<0,0,0>,<0,1,0>,10}
  #local X=-9; #while(X<9)
    #local Y=-9; #while(Y<9)
      #if (X*X+Y*Y < 81)
        cylinder{<X,-0.1,Y>,<X,1.1,Y>,0.1}
      #end
    #local Y=Y+0.5; #end
  #local X=X+0.5; #end
}

Rendering of this is very slow, even if I added bounded_by.
On the other hand, if I removed CSG, it is much faster.

How can I improve the rendering speed?

Post a reply to this message

> My scene has a plate with many (about 1000) holes, like following:
>
> difference{
>   cylinder{<0,0,0>,<0,1,0>,10}
>   #local X=-9; #while(X<9)
>     #local Y=-9; #while(Y<9)
>       #if (X*X+Y*Y < 81)
>         cylinder{<X,-0.1,Y>,<X,1.1,Y>,0.1}
>       #end
>     #local Y=Y+0.5; #end
>   #local X=X+0.5; #end
> }
>
> Rendering of this is very slow, even if I added bounded_by.
> On the other hand, if I removed CSG, it is much faster.
>
> How can I improve the rendering speed?

I think the following link provide an answer:
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm

Steven

Post a reply to this message