POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lighting different when using equivalent isosurface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Lighting different when using equivalent isosurface (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Timwi
Subject: Lighting different when using equivalent isosurface
Date: 20 Mar 2009 22:18:39
Message: <49c44e7f@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I think I may have found a significant bug in POV-Ray, but if it's not a
bug then please explain to me why, and how I can work around the problem.

Consider the following source:

#include "colors.inc"

camera { location <2, 2, -5> look_at <0, 0.5, 0> }
light_source { <0, 3, 0> color rgb <0.7, 0.7, 0.7> }

#declare use_iso = 0;

difference {
     box { <-2.5, -1.1, -2.5>,
           < 2.5, 0,     2.5>
     }

     #if(use_iso)
         // this isosurface _should_ be equivalent to the cylinder below
         isosurface {
             function { pow (x, 2) + pow (z, 2) - 4 }
             max_gradient 5.310
             accuracy .0001
             contained_by {
                 box { <-2.01, -1,  -2.01>,
                       < 2.01, .01,  2.01> }
             }
         }
     #else
         cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0, .01, 0>, 2 }
     #end

     pigment { Green }
}

Try rendering this with use_iso set to 0 and then with it set to 1. I
would have thought the two should produce pretty much the same result,
since the isosurface is equivalent to the cylinder.

But the result I get is this: with the cylinder everything works as
expected, but with the isosurface, the inside of the object is
completely black, even though there is a light source right next to it.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? If so, what?

Thanks
Timwi

Post a reply to this message

>I think I may have found a significant bug in POV-Ray, but if it's not
>a bug then please explain to me why, and how I can work around the
>problem.
>
>Consider the following source:

>#include "colors.inc"
>
>camera { location <2, 2, -5> look_at <0, 0.5, 0> }
>light_source { <0, 3, 0> color rgb <0.7, 0.7, 0.7> }
>
>#declare use_iso = 0;
>
>difference {
>    box { <-2.5, -1.1, -2.5>,
>          < 2.5, 0,     2.5>
>    }
>
>    #if(use_iso)
>        // this isosurface _should_ be equivalent to the cylinder below
>        isosurface {
>            function { pow (x, 2) + pow (z, 2) - 4 }
>            max_gradient 5.310
>            accuracy .0001
>            contained_by {
>                box { <-2.01, -1,  -2.01>,
>                      < 2.01, .01,  2.01> }
>            }
>        }
>    #else
>        cylinder { <0, -1, 0>, <0, .01, 0>, 2 }
>    #end
>
>    pigment { Green }
>}
>
>Try rendering this with use_iso set to 0 and then with it set to 1. I
>would have thought the two should produce pretty much the same result,
>since the isosurface is equivalent to the cylinder.
>
>But the result I get is this: with the cylinder everything works as
>expected, but with the isosurface, the inside of the object is
>completely black, even though there is a light source right next to it.
>
>Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? If so, what?
>
>Thanks
>Timwi

There's two things going on. One of them is you doing something wrong
and one could possibly be a bug.

When you perform CSG with an isosurface you must either set max_trace
appropriately or use all_intersections.

That still leaves the bottom of the hole darker when you use the
isosurface.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>> Try rendering this with use_iso set to 0 and then with it set to 1. I
>> would have thought the two should produce pretty much the same result,
>> since the isosurface is equivalent to the cylinder.
>>
>> But the result I get is this: with the cylinder everything works as
>> expected, but with the isosurface, the inside of the object is
>> completely black, even though there is a light source right next to it.
>
> There's two things going on. One of them is you doing something wrong
> and one could possibly be a bug.
>
> When you perform CSG with an isosurface you must either set max_trace
> appropriately or use all_intersections.

Thanks a lot... although it raises the question: why is that not the
default? Why is the default something that is, apparently, broken by
definition (because it doesn't calculate all intersections it needs to
generate the correct result)?

> That still leaves the bottom of the hole darker when you use the
> isosurface.

Yeah. Should I report that as a bug?

In my case, I worked around it by having the isosurface cut a little bit
deeper and then filling up the bottom of the hole with another box...
but ideally, of course, I shouldn't have to do that.

Thanks
Timwi

Post a reply to this message

> > When you perform CSG with an isosurface you must either set max_trace
> > appropriately or use all_intersections.

> Thanks a lot... although it raises the question: why is that not the
> default? Why is the default something that is, apparently, broken by
> definition (because it doesn't calculate all intersections it needs to
> generate the correct result)?

  Efficiency?

--
                                                          - Warp