POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent object Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent object (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Delfo
Subject: Transparent object
Date: 23 Dec 2008 08:35:00
Message: <web.4950e8a2149533f3998813760@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody
I would like to make a previously-declared object transparent. Since my idea is
to have this object appearing both in transparent and solid version, I would
like to know if there is a way to make it transparent without having to change
ALL the colors in all sub-instances of said object.
So far I've tried

#declare MyObj=object {prev_declared_object
                       hollow
                       transmit 0.6}

but the object appears as solid as if normally instanced...Is there a way to
override the previous transparency with new settings, or shall I manually
change all rgb declarations into rgbt?
Thanks

Post a reply to this message

>override the previous transparency with new settings, or shall I manually
>change all rgb declarations into rgbt?

Hi Delfo

Why not change all the rgb declarations into rgbft and call f and t declared
variables that can be varied globally.

#declare MyFilter = 0.3
#declare MyTrans = 0.7;

color rgbft <x,x,x, MyFilter, MyTrans >

The keyword *hollow* is only for media.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to make a previously-declared object transparent.

  In the current POV-Ray it's unfortunately not possible to change the
texture of pre-textured objects. You can only modify the original texture
definition.

  You can use declared identifiers and/or macros to make this easier on
a per-instantiation basis.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to make a previously-declared object transparent. Since my idea is
> to have this object appearing both in transparent and solid version, I would
> like to know if there is a way to make it transparent without having to change
> ALL the colors in all sub-instances of said object.
> So far I've tried
>
> #declare MyObj=object {prev_declared_object
>                        hollow
>                        transmit 0.6}
>
> but the object appears as solid as if normally instanced...Is there a way to
> override the previous transparency with new settings, or shall I manually
> change all rgb declarations into rgbt?
> Thanks

Two ways you can do it:

1)  Declare the object, but don't apply the texture.  Apply the texture when it
is inserted.  With this method you need to declare two textures and it only
works if the object has a single texture applied to it.

2) Make a macro of the object with the specific colour to be changed as a
variable.  Anytime you insert it, you can just pass the colour you need.  This
is the most versatile method.

-tgq