POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How can I slice open a compound (solid) object? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  How can I slice open a compound (solid) object? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Alan
Subject: How can I slice open a compound (solid) object?
Date: 21 Oct 2007 05:34:43
Message: <471b1d33@news.povray.org>
How can I slice open a compound (solid) object?

-If I try
        object { OBJECT clipped_by { plane { -z, 0}}}
I get a hollow shell (as documented).

-If I use
        difference { OBJECT plane { +z, 0 }}
the section is black (or whatever color I give the plane,
also as documented).

I would like my compound OBJECT to appear solid in the sliced section
with each element maintaining its individual texture/material.
The only solution that I have found is to slice each (perhaps merged)
element individually, assigning texture/material to the difference.
There must be a better/easier solution.

Thank you

Post a reply to this message

Le 21.10.2007 12:34, Alan nous fit lire :

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/362/

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.

Post a reply to this message

> Le 21.10.2007 12:34, Alan nous fit lire :
>> How can I slice open a compound (solid) object?
>
>> I would like my compound OBJECT to appear solid in the sliced section
>> with each element maintaining its individual texture/material.
>> The only solution that I have found is to slice each (perhaps merged)
>> element individually, assigning texture/material to the difference.
>> There must be a better/easier solution.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/362/

Thank you, indeed!

(I did not think about searching using the keyword "cutaway")